I keep getting the following Error Message when attempting to create a PDF "OffendingCommand: findfont ]%%

Also, I am creating drawings in Pagemaker, grouping them and trying to copy and paste into Word (which I used to be able to do when I discovered the problem creating a PDF). Now the computer is telling me that the Clipboard cannot accept the image I'm trying to paste.

I'm on a deadline, as are many of you I'm sure, and desperate!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

Don't know where to begin, as if I had to guess, you are using OS 8 or OS 9, and perhaps Acrobat Writer or Acrobat Distiller. It is possible that the clipboard doesn't like the image because it may be a vector file, or perhaps a EPS file (which is rendered on the fly).

Please let us know what OS you are working with, and what you are trying to generate the .pdf file with.

Thanks.

Christian

Sorry for not giving you all the info -- I'm a bit of a novice at this...
The system is OS 9. I'm trying to use Acrobat Distiller - which has always worked in the past. I've constructed a drawing in Pagemaker, and what I usually do is turn it into a PDF so I can email it to computers that don't have Pagemaker.
Thanks so much for responding to my plea!

Hello,

I have had a problem once in a blue moon with OS 9 Distiller and a bad font. Create a copy of your document in Pagemaker. Change the fonts to all one font... and I would pick one that is not in your present document. Try that... see if it works. If so, then you know that your orig document has a font corruption issue.

If there is still a failure, then try removing the picture. Then it is the picture's fault. In that case, you might need to have pagemaker open with the picture installed. Take a screenshot of it and crop in photoshop. Then put the PICT image in there instead of the other one. See if that works. If so, replace that PICT image with something 300 x 300 dpi so that it prints nice.

Good luck.

Christian

You're very kind to do this (Need any windows washed?)
Oddly enough, there are NO fonts in the particular Pagemaker file that I'm trying to turn into a PDF - it has no writing, just lines and circles and boxes - a drawing I did IN Pagemaker.

However - you are correct in assuming there's a bad font involved, because that's what the computer seems to be telling me. This is one of the messages I get:

%%[ Error: Helvetica not found. Font cannot be embedded. ]%%
%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: findfont ]%%

Stack:
/Font
/Helvetica
/_BFontUOThick
false

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Someone was using Illustrator (words and pictures) on my computer and made a PDF. I wonder if that might have created a problem.

At any rate, I've tried to copy and paste into Photoshop, but the Clipboard won't accept the image. Yaaaarch! Should i try sticking the offending font (suitcase) in the trash?

Hello Jenny,

No, no windows washing needed. It has been raining here in Wisconsin for the last 3 days. Now a LAWN MOWING would be something... :)

You would not need to put the font into the trash... just get it out of the search path of the Distiller Program. If memory serves, Distiller is going to look in your System Folder --> Fonts area, and will also look in any pre-defined paths that you may manually specify. You should not have to trash and empty it. Also, this is just a guess that the Helvetica is causing the problem.

As for taking a screen shot, hold down APPLE-SHIFT-3 at the same time, and you should hear a click. the computer just made a screen shot. Take that picture, and put it into photoshop and edit out the other screen debris.

I am also wondering if you could open a new pagemaker document, and manually re-create the drawing. I do not know how complex it is... but am also wondering if there are hidden characters in the mix causing the corruption.

Good luck.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.