Most of the time I go into internet explorer a message comes up and says "you have performed an illegal operation" and in the detail section it says "EXPLORER caused an exception eedfadeH in module BTLINK.DLL at 0167:023d68ea." Then it quits out of IE. If anyone can help please tell me.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This is, unfortunately, a dreaded part of living in the Microsoft Windows world. Explorer crashes can be due to a number of reasons - usually software conflicts, a corrupt registry, etc etc.

Do you usually get the illegal operation error for explorer.exe only via Internet Explorer, or when doing other tasks as well? If this is isolated, the easiest fix that I can see would be to uninstall/reinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer.

What version of Windows are you running? Also, what version of Internet Explorer are you running?

It only happens while running IE. I have the newest version of IE and i have windows 98se.

I also have another problem with IE. :x When I go to like a website that has playable games or something can pop-up. It shows a message that says, "the callee (server(not server application)) is not available and disappeared, all connections are invalid. The call did not execute." This has been happening a lot longer than the other problem.
Help

Thank you

I've been receiving these errors consistently for the last few months and I suddenly realised that every error was generated when a new 'popup' window tried to open. The point is that I use popup blocker software that prevents popups from opening so this was causing the problem. Perhaps this is why it was happening to you as well? Personally I can handle a few script errors every now and again if it means that I won't get pointless popup ads appearing every second!

Most of the time I go into internet explorer a message comes up and says "you have performed an illegal operation" and in the detail section it says "EXPLORER caused an exception eedfadeH in module BTLINK.DLL at 0167:023d68ea." Then it quits out of IE.

You have been hijacked! That DLL is part of a browser hijacker/spyware "search bar". Use Spybot - Search & Destroy or Ad-aware to remove it. In either case, update the data-file before scanning the drive.

Even after removal, your Windows Registry is likely somewhat damaged. Once you have removed the hijacker, boot into MS-DOS (this is one of the options in the Shutdown dialog box, for example). From DOS, run the command scanreg /fix to repair the Registry. It's also a good idea, after the fix, to run scanreg /opt to optimize it.

Also, the next time that you run IE, go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options, and clear out the Temporary Internet Files. Much malware hides itself there.

The Google Toolbar makes a good popup-stopper, by the way...

Spybot - Search & Destroy -- http://Security.Kolla.de
Ad-aware -- http://www.Lavasoft.nu

My personal preference is Spybot - S & D, but (of course) your mileage may vary.

I use mozilla firefox and didn't use any extra download manager or popup blocker, and it works just fine. which site was it? i can check it out and tell u if mozilla works. also, i (though it's not important) think that ad aware is a easier program than spybot search & destroy so it sould be listed first. (Like i said... Not important)

I have a similar problem and need to find a solution. I am a member of Live365.com, StreamWaves.com. Both of these music sites require you to log in and then the music player comes up in a seperate window. I sometimes get a message saying I need to turn off my pop-up blocker, and I do, but usually the window just locks up. On one computer the problem is so bad that I can not perform downloads. If I use Mozilla the problem does not come up but live365 and StreamWaves require you to use Internet Explorer. Also I like to play games at MSN Game Zone and they will not work. I have installed the latest IE Update and this did not fix the problem.

I was hijacked months ago and already used SpyBot Search and Destroy and fixed the regestry.

I'm having trouble finding the directory with Scanreg. I am running windows XP and do not find a file or hidden file called scanreg.

GoBaker

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.