I teach people to use their computers ...

Today , while online - The computer popped up a message
NT Autorization something , Status Code 1073741819
Shut down . He has a E-Machine with Win XP .

I tried everything , even tried to go back to a earlier time and it wouldn't let me do this . This guy is elderly and he has truly enjoyed his time of learning , and this is just a block that we've gotta over step before the next lesson .

What do I need to do to fix his machine ?
No virus' were found on the system

Cloud
Webmaster in the works

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Please post the exact and complete text of the error message; we need that information to make an accurate assesment.

If the error related to lsass.exe crashing, you almost certainly have a variant of the sasser worm. See this article for more information and a link to the removal utility.

BTW- I see that this is your first post. Welcome! :)

Well to be technical lol , it kept rebooting every 36 seconds.
I've gotta be able to get on long enough to fix the problem or in this case - kill this worm . And for as exact text - i don't remember it all and I'm not at his house at the moment, I was going by Memory and a note on the number.

But from what I've read on this new virus , the computer was doing exactly as this virus has acted - causing the computer to reboot continuously .

I'll probley copy the needed tool to a cd and hope to go from there .

Thank you for the welcome :)

Cloud

Indeed, me thinks its the blaster virus, get a fix here:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpcsu.html

or:

That's the MS Blaster worm in action. It used the useless open service RPC on XP to install itself and do its dirty deeds. You will have to take several steps to fix it.

1. Go to Symantec and download-and-run the latest version of FixBlast, a free stand-alone tool to remove this worm.

2. Go to the Gibson Research website. Download-and-run the program Shoot the Messenger. There are other tools there, also.

Note: both these tools will fit on one floppy, so you can download them at a friend's house or computer store.

3. Make sure that all your XP patches are up-to-date.

4. Come back here and do a search on "Blaster" for more details.

5. You will likely also have to delete your System Restore files, as those have probably also been infected.

How come Norton didn't kill out this Virus ??? He has this on the system and its continuously running .

Cloud

The sasser worm is quite recent. If Norton wasn't updated regularly, the virus signature files wouldn't have identified it.

Is Norton configured to automatically update on his system, and is the subscription up to date and current? If it's an old version that came 'bundled' with his system , for example, it may well be out of date, and quite useless.

The sasser worm is quite recent. If Norton wasn't updated regularly, the virus signature files wouldn't have identified it.

Yup; new sasser detection/removal tools were posted just two days ago.

If it is one of the recent virii, download and run McAfee's Stinger utility. It will deal with both the Sasser and MSBlaster worms. After that, definitely make sure that your anti-virus program is set to auto-update itself; even being a week or two out of date on your virus definitions can put you at risk.

His is the updated version , he just got the computer in Feburary . I'm due to go over this week , and fix his computer . I feel so sorry for him - he thinks the goverment's out to get him - we were filling out the thing for prescriptions online - when the virus hit and anything other than what I've taught him - goes over his head so to speak , and you can't convince him that virus' happen to everyone at one point and time and its not the goverment . I'll let you know how it goes when I get to work on the system .

Thanks again,

Cloud

hi
don't use windows xp, and don't use IE 6 and go to www.symantec.com and download the removal tools for the blaster worm and the sasser worm and tell the person who is using the pc to not download anything from the internet and not to be visiting bad websites!

hi
don't use windows xp, and don't use IE 6 and go to www.symantec.com and download the removal tools for the blaster worm and the sasser worm and tell the person who is using the pc to not download anything from the internet and not to be visiting bad websites!

David, not to offend, but:

-Many people don't have time to overcome the curve involved in learning a new OS; if they're used to Windows, they will want to continue using Windows.

-I certainly agree about not using IE, and recommend that to my clients as well. Unfortunately, for the reason I gave above, most will continue using IE. The best thing to do in that case is to make sure that you keep absolutely current on MS security patched and updates.

-You do not have to download anything or visit "bad websites" to get with some of this stuff; the problem of "malware" has become much more widespread than that.

hello mdr
i know that it may not be because of that "bad Websites" i know it can be many thins but since the pc is shutting down it may be one of this two worms which have affected so many computers nowadays and what i mean is that i would recommend that people use netscape or mozilla. or use windows 98 i know there are many other programs, but i would recommend the win 98 se it has less errors.

Hey cloud, before the PC shutdown go to
start, run and type CMD
on the black screen type shutdown -a hit enter and you are good to go

I used the stinger - it got rid of the virus , but now the guy has decided to quit using the computer - his one goal - to buy his meds off line and it was just as high cost as it was at the local , so not sure what's gonna go on . I have Win XP , I use Netscape and IE and I've never had any problems . I love win XP :)

Cloud

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.