Recently when i try to play a game or listen music on windows media player i cant hear anything. The games just dont have any sound and on windows media player a small red "x" appears next the song and the following message pops up:

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

This is weird since my files used to play perfectly. and clicking "Web Help" is definintly not helpful.

Here are my computer specs:

Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 1918MB RAM
Hard Drive: 393 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Monitor: HP w19b/w19e Wide LCD Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500)

Im hoping somebody here knows how to fix this problem and thanks again Serunson for showing me this great site.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Hay mate,
Now here's something just to try to see if WMP11 can actually play your songs. If you go into the file in my Documents that contains all your music (most likely called My Music) and double click on any of the tracks to see if they play. Try that first to see if WMP11 is corrupted or something.

Alright, i tried that , its not playing any of the songs ,even the sample stuff it came with.

hi agian guys ,

I ran several virus scans just in case but it found nothing. I also tested and found out that i also can no longer play cd's or songs sent to me from other people.

Along with the above Moose has also done this:
sfc /scannow
Which produced no change after a reboot.
I think the next course of action is to use an AVG anti-Virus scan. Simply download the free version, install it, update the software then run a scan. It can be found here mate: http://free.grisoft.com/
Moose runs Norton IS 2007 which showed no nasties. Also running Windows Defender found nothing either.

Ignore this post. Im just posting to get notifications on reply.

oh wow never knew that

lol the great bennet doesn't know something!
:D
Nice one The Dude! :)

oh wow never knew that

Thats ok my friend :)

Oh btw The Dude, your suggestion worked about a system restore. Moose says thanks to ya, i'm his mate so i am thanking you on his behalf. :)

The dude thank you very much i did the sytsem restore and the problem seems fixed for now.

Im glad its working :) (I assumed it would... System Restore is your friend :))

lol
Well said! System Restore is everyone's friend.

unless it isnt turned on

I know it's solved, but this happened the last time I got a call to fix a no-sound problem. After checking all they usual software settings, I took a look around behind the computer. The speakers were plugged into the mic jack.

That's a bit silly plugging speakers into the Mic Jack!

He plugged it in without turning the computer around to see the jack color.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.