Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have had many recommend avg as an alternative to norton. Many have said it is better. I don't know if that is true or not but does it work in the background to scan like norton? Does it live update on its own? Can you schedule it to scan on its own? What overall automation does it have? Also, what do you think about avg?????

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

In the order you have put them, the answers to your questions are:

Yes

Yes

Yes

Complete, including integration with MS Outlook

Very high quality product, losing marks only because there are some quite rare virus variants it misses, and because it on occassions produces false reports. In that, it is only marginally less capable than the best available 8.5/10

By the way, because of its many problems, I'd rate Norton as about 5/10, even though it is very accurate at its task.

So, are we talking about the free version? Would you rate it the best?

I love my avg. I have it on both computers, 98SE and XP Home SP2. The free version is the only virus program that has detected viruses before they can hurt either pc. Norton Pro 2004 caused so many problems on my 98SE that I had to reinstall windows. I have tried McAfee and Symantec/Norton, esafe, escorcher and McAfee's freebie called stinger and Grisoft's AVG is the BEST.

McAfee's freebie called stinger and Grisoft's AVG is the BEST.

Agree agree. Works best for me too. :mrgreen: and your com runs faster..... and even faster with Daschund Hare.....saves my cash on subscriptions and buying RAMs..... :twisted:

Well... I still reccomend AVG to everybody, but they are falling behind a little bit. I've heard they are about to make a comeback though :) Finally

We here at United Networks have been huge fans of Grisoft's AVG products for years. We recommend AVG to our customers and friends over any other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware product.

Visit our website at http://www.shopunitednetworks.com and use our AVG Selector Tool to find the version that fits your needs!

-SC

I agree that avg is great. I have been using it now for over a year and have had only good luck.

Been using AVG for roughly a year - the paid version. Happy with it and its light footprint.

i use avg and it runs happily on a pc with 384 meg of ram (norton slowed it to a crawl)

Iused to use the free AVG and recommend it (I still do to people who rarely use the net or who can't afford one of the other programs), but last year I gave up on it, between getting rarer updates (roughly weekly or a bit less rather than once or more a day as with other programs) and getting a number of false positives - I got frustrated.
Yet, overall, it is still a good program for most people. You need to determine how "dangerous" a user you - or others who access your computer - are. If you are all sensible, it should be all you need.

i get one avg 7.5 update a day or therabouts
its resident shield is excellent. yes, it does get false positives but it has caught more in my case than either norton or mcafee

Member Avatar for iamthwee

It's true what they say about AVG. It's a great free program. I was using norton before. Needless to say I don't anymore.

compared to Norton everything is a candy. my personal choice is AVG antispy and Antivir (free-av.com). Antivir is as light and as free as AVG, but it is slightly better at detecting little monsters, although it doesn't have an email module in the free version. so yeah, AVG is my second choice, and I used it when antivir's update site was down for a month or so

IMHO, the 2 best free Antivirus products are AVG and Avast.

For an independent review: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Avast gets higher marks for detection without false positives.

AVG is a fine product and I've used it for years, you'll like it. I've moved to avast since they did away with the yearly renewal for the free product.

Avg is definitely much much faster norton, but i don't think that it is very effective when it comes to detecting threats. I still prefer avast to avg

Reuben, Agree, agree. I run free AVG on Win7 Laptop and XPPro desktop and it's
freakin' marvellous. Also running Norton and AVG has picked up several things missed
by Norton. Don't get me wrong, I think Norton is good, but AVG is also good and free.
Next door neighbour is MS accredited tech and HE swears by AVG.

nortan slowed down my system the moment i installed it.
Even though I dont use AVG its much better than Nortan anyday. still would recomand it as a great free anti virus

I have had many recommend avg as an alternative to norton. Many have said it is better. I don't know if that is true or not but does it work in the background to scan like norton? Does it live update on its own? Can you schedule it to scan on its own? What overall automation does it have? Also, what do you think about avg?????

Why don't you try McAfee , its preety :cool:

There are two really good Anti-Virus softwares out there and one of them is AVG: AVG Setup
and the other one which I use is Avast. I've had Avast for a long time now and haven't had any trouble since I changed from NOD32, which was great but Avast is free and does the job.
You can download the latest Avast from here: Avast Setup

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.