Ok it all started when i wanted to try AVG so i uninstalled Norton 360 and had a slight probem.. i dont remember the problem but norton was gone from my tray, desktop and program list no i was happy... i tried to install AVG free version... and i got the error

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

So i tried reinstalling norton and it says "Preparing for installation" for about 6 hours

So i quit

i googled the AVG error code (hoping that problem was the source of both)... and tried to write the key myself... but i couldnt open up the windows folder in the registy!!!
it said
Cannot open Windows. Error while opening key

So im stuck with no antivirus... all my stuff is backed up tho

Please.. someone help me

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

ok norton tech soupport hepled

fragments of norton were still left over from the un install,,, enough to cause problems

ok norton tech soupport hepled

fragments of norton were still left over from the un install,,, enough to cause problems

for future reference ,all you had do do was shut norton down,remove it from startup,,and then install AVG to Try it ,you can have more than 1 antivirs on you computer ,just not more that one running at the same time !

Norton doesn't always uninstall cleanly, in fact it usually doesn't. Symantic is aware of this problem and offers the "Norton Removal Tool" (free of charge) to remove the remnants of their programs.

In a situation like this it's also a good idea to uninstall the antivirus you installed over it, using the windows "installer cleanup utility" to get rid of all traces and then install the software you want once the system is free of any conflicting or previous versions of software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.