I have a connector ps2 to usb port. Can I use that usb port as a regular USB port?
I know that they are for usb mouse and keyboard but can I use it for a flash driver or some other device?

Are there any other types of devices that could use the ps2 port?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Jupiter 2

Hello,

Are you asking can you use the USB ports that the mouse and keyboard are plugged in for things like flash drives? If you are then most likely you can; try it.

If you have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse avaliable why not use them and free up 2 USB ports.

- Hope this helps

I think I'd like to get a few more replies before I try it. I do have 8 computers but I don't really want to try. I'll think about it over night. I have an Acer 1.8 ghz that no longer suits my purpose. I was thinking of giving it away. I suppose no one else will have much use for it either.

Just a note: the USB PS2 comnnector is the same as a normal USB port. I have a double ended connector so I can actually connect something to it, maybe a phone or an ipod. I've got an ipod that only responds with an hour glass so I suppose I'll use that for my experiment.

Just a quick question are you after plugging USB devices into a PS/2 port?

yeah i think thats what they are asking ,sound to me like they have a ps/2 y cord going from ps/2 to 2 usb's ,they are used for connecting a usb mouse and keyboard to a single ps/2 on a laptop generally i do believe, and i do not think a flash drive will function on it !

I have a connector ps2 to usb port. Can I use that usb port as a regular USB port?
I know that they are for usb mouse and keyboard but can I use it for a flash driver or some other device?

Are there any other types of devices that could use the ps2 port?

You make it sound like you have connected a ps/2 device to a USB port via a ps2/USB converter.

Which is it?

1. PS/2 device -> USB converter -> USB port
2. USB device -> PS/2 converter -> PS/2 port

Okay then, I can say that you can't use it as an ordinary USB port.

Earlier I was assuming;

1. PS/2 device -> USB converter -> USB port

If you after more USB ports try a USB hub.

- Hope this helps

Apparently you cannot use the ps2 ports for anything except a keyboard and mouse. In case anyone doesn't know, the purple one is for keyboard and the green one is for mouse. But only 99% of the time. The other 1% is the reverse.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.