Does anyone here know what file controls the action when you press CTRL-ALT-DEL and get that "Close Program" box??

The reason I ask is,i have a program called TASK MANAGER (It looks like XPs task manager) in 'My Breifcase' and I would really like to have "Task Manager" open when i hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE like it does on 2000,XP,etc.....

Im assuming it is stored either in the reg or a SYSTEM file (explorer.exe,etc) and i could probably just point it to that file instead of the CLOSE PROGRAM box.. If someone knows WHAT FILE it is,i could begin looking into it :)

This is an interesting experiment and maybe we can work on this together and produce excellent results :)

Thanx guys :)

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

are u using win98 .
so long ago,
do you get the option to make up a shortcut key if you right click on the file and go to properties

Yup i can bud......

But it seems logical that i could alter the file that the setting is in that brings up 'CLOSE PROGRAM' and instead have it open Task Manager (c:\My Briefcase\Task Manager) instead..

Yup i can bud......

But it seems logical that i could alter the file that the setting is in that brings up 'CLOSE PROGRAM' and instead have it open Task Manager (c:\My Briefcase\Task Manager) instead..

ok, it wold be in the registry somewhere,not sure where !had a quick look ,but i am using xp, but if you right click the program you could create your own key combo to open the device manager in my briefcase.like alt+ctrl+home

edit - you could look i your registry [not in my xp] in this general are
"Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System " ,looking for close program or something like that,
sorry i cant find any reference to it for win98 on Google or don't have any computer with 98 on it anymore

On NT based systems. its the kernel/winlogon. Thats because ctrl-alt-del is magic. Its a security feature (hence why on a domain you must do control-alt-del to logon - thats to ensure that the logon screen is the actual windows logon one and not a fake to try and spoof your details)

However, this was NOT the case on 98. I would say it probably is configurable on 98.

Well it just would be neat to do it....

CTRL-ALT-DEL is a reserved system COMBO so finding where that is set would be rewarding for this project :)

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

That key is empty Caperjack (System)

I have also used Win 98.
I get my entire system hanged & when i press press ALT-CTRL-DEL.
The system gets restarted & sometime it shows system is too busy screen.

Welcome my friend :)

Win98se is an awesome OS,its good to see you running it!

Win98se is an awesome OS

Really, it isnt....

I believe that the CTRL-ALT-DEL keyboard combination is
"hardwired" in ROM BIOS.

Hmm that might make it hard changing then :D

Well it clearly is modifiable a bit. A double-tap always seems to be a reboot, but a single one can seem to be caught by the kernel hence windows using it as a Secure Attention Sequence.

Ya its interesting thinking about no question!

This problem persists in windows 98.
because when too many windows are opened it gets hanged & restarted when pressed CRTL-ALT-DEL.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.