I have a domain user that has logged into his new laptop and none of his email carried over. he can receive new emails, but cannot find his older ones. When he first logged into the new laptop that is connected to the network i had to configure his email as I have had to other times too for other users. I was able to locate his email account, and he will receive new emails, but we cannot bring his older ones over to this new laptop from his other computer. Can someone please advise what I should do or can do? I have to get this guy up and running. I am in desperate need of any help.

Exchange server/srv2003/windows xp/

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sounds like he was saving the emails to PST file on the old machine. Do you still have that system? If so do a search for *.pst These will be his saved emails. Move the files to the new machine and go to File->Data File Management and reconnect the PST files.

When i changed my system i too configured the outlook.
But the older things just came in automatically.
Only the older send items were lost.

When i changed my system i too configured the outlook.
But the older things just came in automatically.
Only the older send items were lost.

It will do that if all your email is still in you inbox or folders directly under inbox.

First of all what type of email are we talking about here? Is it HTTP (web-based), POP3, IMAP? By default POP3 servers will not store a copy of the emails on the server, you have to enable that within Outlook. And if that is the case, Freak is probably right, they are stored in a .pst file on the old machine.

First of all what type of email are we talking about here? Is it HTTP (web-based), POP3, IMAP? By default POP3 servers will not store a copy of the emails on the server, you have to enable that within Outlook. And if that is the case, Freak is probably right, they are stored in a .pst file on the old machine.

I use microsoft exchange server...that's the option I choose when I set up his email on the new machine.

so if I am following everyone correctly.....his old emails are probably on his machine stored as a .pst file.

One of the other posts said to copy the emails out to the server and then import. His new emails are coming in correctly.

With Exchange they should still be on the server, unless they were moved to a .pst. Make sure you have entered the correct exchange server address. And also look for the .pst. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.