lol well all i can say is you are the unlucky one my friend...i feel your pain...maybe you should thoroughly check your computer for viruses. Because i have similar specs to you and my pc boots in 1 min, shuts down in like 30-45 seconds and does NOT randomly stops everything!

Machine built brand new 10/23/09. Never had another OS. AVG antivirus found nothing.

will not work on mine ,only a p4 cpu

Depends on model. My Desktops P4 HT has h/w virt but my Original CoreDuo laptop CPU doesnt have either 64 bit or h/w virt, which sucks.

Use this to check
http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx

Machine built brand new 10/23/09. Never had another OS. AVG antivirus found nothing.

new build doesent mean a thing ,the new parts could be a frew yrs old tech wise ,local shop here still sell old ram and harddrive and motherboard to people not in the know ,even still selling,avg video cards to people like me!lol
. i assume you tried to run it with some of the ram out ,like if it has 2x2 gig ,remove one and try it ! if no difference try it with the other one

I installed it on my MBP (Dual-Boot, I don't like to install any other OS on my Mac, Just wanted to see how guys at MS did this time), You'll impressed by it fast installation, then Windows came up and I said "Wow, Finally Microsoft release a good OS" when I check the process, Then I want to change my Background click on Properties and wait, Then that famous spinning teal circle came on screen and the whole OS freeze, Then I completely remove Win 7 from my Mac! Just appearance and default process changed form other OS from MS!

I installed it on my MBP (Dual-Boot, I don't like to install any other OS on my Mac, Just wanted to see how guys at MS did this time), You'll impressed by it fast installation, then Windows came up and I said "Wow, Finally Microsoft release a good OS" when I check the process, Then I want to change my Background click on Properties and wait, Then that famous spinning teal circle came on screen and the whole OS freeze, Then I completely remove Win 7 from my Mac! Just appearance and default process changed form other OS from MS!

If you actually want a pleasant Windows experience, here's some advice.... don't install it on a Mac! Always found it suspicious how Windows (especially Win7) is able to run very well even on an old PC model, yet mysteriously crawls on even the new Mac models. Anyone sensing a little bit of sabotaging going on?? This is Apple Corp after all, so it really wouldn't surprise me!

Member Avatar for jdmuskrat

A friend was asking me if I thought upgrading to windows 7 was a good idea. Since I don't have windows 7 I told him I would get back to him after I asked around. So, what is your personal opinion of Windows 7? No links to reviews or anything like that, just personal experience. Thanks a lot!

i would surely upgrade if they are on Vista. XP is still ok, but is a little long in the tooth. i am using the ultimate version on a laptop and a desktop. both very few issues. far less than vista. the only problem with games so far has been the laptop not being able to use the mouse in either online or or locally loaded. but then i have only tried dungeons and dragons online, and witcher from dvd. simple games work fine. all works great on the desktop so it must be something with the toshiba.
have yet to try the pro or home versions.

Windows seven is ultimately fantastic

I'm not sure how or if I would recommend win7 anymore than i would recommend any other proprietary operating system for a business. Can you turn off sound for individual users in win7? Can you turn off usb ports or cdrom drives per user?
In a business situation, I have no real need for windows' number one use, gaming. Most of the Linux distros I use will run a lot of games, but not WINDOWS specific games. the biggest issue here is directx and that is windows specific. So if you would like to run a hardcore gaming machine use windows and since win7 is the only one that will have the latest version of directx then you will have to use win7. The thing that amazes me with that one is that you have to pay extra to use software written for an operating system you already own. You have to pay more for the better versions of win7 so that you can run your Win XP software that you just upgraded your system from. So the reason to upgrade to the more expensive versions of win7 is to use your older software? This makes no sense to me at all.
I'm not a gamer, I'm a network admin and a 3D design teacher. I'm also certified as a MCSE for several versions of windows starting with NT4 going through win2k3. I haven't done certs for server2008 yet and haven't really planned on it. I use Windows for gaming and for any other serious work, i use Linux.

Can you turn off sound for individual users in win7? Can you turn off usb ports or cdrom drives per user?

In all cases, YES. In fact, have been able to do most of that since XP Pro (not XP Home, as that came minus the Group Policy Editor required to do so). OS X is actually one of the last OS's - either proprietary of free/open-source not to provide such functionality as far as I know.

As to your apparent baffledness over people actually paying for, not only the OS itself, but also for the proprietary software as well, the answer is simple... for many of us - both at work and at home - Linux and open-source software offerings are simply not up to muster. As an IT and digital arts teacher myself, the open-source community simple lacks credible alternatives to the paid-for applications I need. Xara is getting there for raster/vector based graphic arts, but there is simply no application that comes even close to 3DS Max for modelling/3D animation. Then there is the vast canyon btwn MS Office and either Open Office or Google's offerings. Linux and FOSS works for some, but not the majority of us, at least for now.

While I do respect your own preferences toward Linux and FOSS, this thread is open for ppl to provide their experiences with Win7, and as such, really isn't the place for pushing your cause.

Can you turn off sound for individual users in win7? Can you turn off usb ports or cdrom drives per user?

Yes. You have been able to do it with AD group policy since like windows 2000. (For example, its default policy on domain servers that only admins logged in interacrively on the local machine can use any removable media)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.