I'm new at attempting massive backups. I purchased a program call Rapid Backup 2, and I backed up x amount of data on the "C" drive and all of the data on the "D" drive. It took 7 or 8 discs, but when I view the disc in Windows Explorer it shows a single file with gobbledegook numbers.

I need to reformat my HD and re-install XP Pro on my machine. I'm not sure I trust the backup, so I could use some advice and/or thoughts on this adventure. Are there apps out there that don't do this and are there any that reveal the files on your discs?
Thanks, Giddyup

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm new at attempting massive backups. I purchased a program call Rapid Backup 2, and I backed up x amount of data on the "C" drive and all of the data on the "D" drive. It took 7 or 8 discs, but when I view the disc in Windows Explorer it shows a single file with gobbledegook numbers.

I need to reformat my HD and re-install XP Pro on my machine. I'm not sure I trust the backup, so I could use some advice and/or thoughts on this adventure. Are there apps out there that don't do this and are there any that reveal the files on your discs?
Thanks, Giddyup

i hear you ,i could never trust software either ,what i would do is get hold of another hardrive ,remove yours ,install other, and load windows ,then the backup software ,and try using the software to reinstall backup data ,only sure whay to check backups you now have are what they should be . harddrive are cheap now ,at least round here they are

commented: This is as good as it gets, common sense +4

I think you hit the head on the nail, or something of that nature. I believe that's exactly what I'll do. Thank you very, very much for the good advice.
Giddyup

I think you hit the head on the nail, or something of that nature. I believe that's exactly what I'll do. Thank you very, very much for the good advice.
Giddyup

your welcome ,good luck with it ,and come back let us know how it goes

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.