I would be really thankfull if anyone can help me . I am a elderly person and not real good on computers. I just purchased new computer with win7 and installed a thomson TG782T modem for the internet.using ethernet lead. It work fine and I thought I would hook my old computer up to the internet for my wife to use. The Modem has several Ethernet slots. However when I put in the CD that came with the modem into my old computer (win98) it wont run and tells me I need a newer versionof windows. Is there some way around this or do I have to update my Windows to a newer version. If someone can let me know either way I would be very thankfull as I am a invalid pensioner and cannot really afford to fix up the old computer. I will have show my wife how to use new one
Thankyou
Ian

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You should not need to install any software. I have a few questions for you. How did the Winows 98 PC connect to the internet in the past? Do you have the ethernet cables connected? What happens when you open the web browser (Internet Explorer)?

You should not need to install any software. I have a few questions for you. How did the Winows 98 PC connect to the internet in the past? Do you have the ethernet cables connected? What happens when you open the web browser (Internet Explorer)?

Thankyou so much for reply. Your answer made it a much clearer to me. I do have the ethernet cables attached but as my computer was so old and only has USB slots I had to buy a USB to Ethernet connection. Nothing was happening so I somehow found a area that asked me to reinstall my Usb Network Controller driver. I did this and I now have both computers working. The old computer is a bit slower but is great for my wife. Thankyou once again for taking the time out to help me. Your reply was what I wanted. I am going to write another thread about receiving mail on both computers and maybe you can help with that also. Regards Ianfox.

Great! Please mark the thread as solved.

Windows 98/98se is one of THE BEST WINDOWS RELEASES EVER,im glad you have one running :)

Windows 98/98se is one of THE BEST WINDOWS RELEASES EVER,im glad you have one running :)

Yes I have found it easy to use much easier than later ones although win7 on my new computer I have found great to use. The ones in between have bambuzzled me a bit but I am no expert ...regards foxman

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.