Recently I purchased a new laptop with an OS of vista,but i do not need Vista, I have tried to install win xp in vain. Can some one guide me on how to go about it?

jiaruiyu commented: hao +0

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Recently I purchased a new laptop with an OS of vista,but i do not need Vista, I have tried to install win xp in vain. Can some one guide me on how to go about it?

Hello and welcome to Daniweb ,first thing you should do is make sure that your laptop manufacture has drivers for winxp before you do anything ,some new laptops with vista ,do not have available xp drivers for some of the d evice in the laptop.
if they do then you make sure laptop is set to first boot cdrom ,do this in bios setup ,then simply boot the laptop to the winxp cd and format the harddrive and install windows xp.
you could also use www.google.com and use search words like ."fresh install winxp" you'll be amazed at the results you will get .
good luck

You can not "Upgrade" to windows XP. Although many including me think XP is better, in Microsoft's eyes you are trying to downgrade. So you are going to have to PURCHASE not bootleg a copy of windows XP the FULL edition not the Upgrade. Put the disk in the drive make sure you boot from CD then when it asks you were you want to install delete the partition that vista is on, this will completly get rid of it. Then install in the unallocated space. But be warned your computers drivers may not be avaliable in XP. For example my video driver does not exist in the XP world, so i can not use it.

You can not "Upgrade" to windows XP. Although many including me think XP is better, in Microsoft's eyes you are trying to downgrade. So you are going to have to PURCHASE not bootleg a copy of windows XP the FULL edition not the Upgrade. Put the disk in the drive make sure you boot from CD then when it asks you were you want to install delete the partition that vista is on, this will completly get rid of it. Then install in the unallocated space. But be warned your computers drivers may not be avaliable in XP. For example my video driver does not exist in the XP world, so i can not use it.

echo echo,
also nowhere in there post do they say they want to upgrade to xp

echo echo,
also nowhere in there post do they say they want to upgrade to xp

First off I gave way more information than you did so that echo echo stuff is really unnecessary. Second I made the comment about upgrading because 90% of people who try to switch from vista to XP do not know that you need the full product.

lol .so many post here , are just repeating what others have sad ,and in my opinion un-neccessary ,you really didn't say much more ,i assumed the person had a copy of winxp genuine ,and you didn't that all .i will say no more

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista.
Re-install it, apply the updates and learn how to use it.
Even better, upgrade to Win 7.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista.
Re-install it, apply the updates and learn how to use it.
Even better, upgrade to Win 7.

couldn't aggree more

Do note guys that the OP has not returned to provide ANY further details as to what the actual difficults in "down-grading" are... including any of those assumptions as to full v's upgrade version of XP :-/

As much as I whole-heartedly agree with the notion of migrating to Win7, as opposed to down-grading to an OS nearly at the end of its support cycle... until the OP decides to grace us with his presence an provide more details, all these side debates are utterly pointless.

But, but,... I live for pointless!

But, but,... I live for pointless!

Glad to hear you've got soooo much time on your hands.... most of use don't!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.