Hullo!

I've had Mcafee protection for about five years but have decided to change to AVG rather than pay again for Mcafee.

Is there anything I should be aware of, before changing? I've read on DaniWeb that no-one should have 2 AV programs running at the same time, so I take it I remove Mcafee first then download AVG? I've also heard rumours that it is difficult to remove Mcafee entirely - anyone had experience of this?

I have a Dell 3000, with Windows XP 2002 home edition. The Mcafee package I use contains their SecurityCenter, VirusScan, Personal Firewall, SiteAdvisor, Anti-Spam, and Parental Controls. I also use Spybot SD.

Does their Firewall disable the Windows one? So will I have to manually turn on the Windows firewall after removing Mcafee?

Any thoughts, hints, tips or horror stories gratefully received!

Thanks in advance....
gingerrua

Here is a page from mcafee detailing how to remove their product.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
Download AVG install package then uninstall mcafee. Then run the AVG install package. Make sure to run a scan after installing AVG to make sure you didnt get any viruses etc while being unprotected.

Thank you 04ayasin.
The link you posted makes removing Mcafee look easy - I hope it proves to be!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.