trying to update and this came up (attachment)
does this mean that this new version is not compatible with with xp
or is there ways around this

if can give any help i greatly appreciate

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Clicking on the Continue will allow it to upgrade and install to the new version. Btw which version of Windows XP is in use?

Why is it asking to install drivers for hardware from an anti virus installer? seems a bit odd.
AVG 2011 anti virus or Internet security? business or home?
I have installed AVG 2011 on a number of PC's and laptops and never seen that msg before.
Link to AVG FAQ
http://www.avg.com/id-en/faq?num=3262#faq_3262
From that page
"1. Make sure you are installing AVG under an account with administrative rights.
AVG needs to copy files into folders that are not accessible by accounts without administrative rights. Please make sure that you are logged into Windows with administrative rights.
To make sure that are logged into Windows XP as a user with administrative rights:

1. On the taskbar, click Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel.
2. Click Switch to classic view in the top left pane, if the option is available.
3. Open User Accounts.

All user accounts will be listed on the page. Each account has a status (Computer administrator, Limited account, etc.). Before installing or reinstalling AVG, make sure that you are logged in under an account with Computer administrator status.

If you are not sure which account you are currently logged into, please open the Start menu. The name of the account will be listed either in the title of the Start menu, or next to the Log Off option.
2. Always use the latest AVG installation file.
The AVG program is continuously being improved, including the installer, which is responsible for the correct installation process. By using the latest installation package, there is no need to download larger program and virus base updates immediately after installation. To download the latest installation file, visit the Download section of our website, select your product, and then click the AVG for Windows link.

3. Close all running programs and disable security applications.
Before running the installation file, please close all unnecessary programs and make sure that there is no security application that could interfere with the installation process. Typical examples of programs that may prevent AVG from being successfully installed include anti-spyware utilities and registry monitors/cleaners, which prevent access to the Windows registry. AVG needs to be installed into the registry to provide the functionality and protection it was designed to offer.

4. Remove possible conflicting applications.
If you are using an application which might be in conflict with AVG, please disable or uninstall it completely before running the AVG installation. In general, AVG may conflict with applications that provide the same or similar functionality as an AVG component. This is especially important for other programs with one or more of the following features:

* Real-time protection against viruses (like AVG Resident Shield)
* Monitoring or controling network traffic (like AVG Firewall)
* Checking or filtering e-mails (like AVG E-mail Scanner)
* Checking websites, web content filters (like AVG Online Shield)

For a list of programs known to be in conflict with one or more components in AVG 2011, please see FAQ 3283.

5. Disable User Account Control (UAC) (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only).
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the User Account Control function may in some cases create a copy of specific AVG files in a virtual folder. This limits AVG functionality after installation. "

I got this on both my xp machines and now i cant get AVG to update

i was able to upgrade thanks alot for suggestions

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.