Hello, I want to reinstall postgreSQL. I uninstaled via control panel and then try to run the installer. I get error meesage that the service name postgresql 8.4 already exists, try diffrernt name. But I don't know how to change the name, it does not give any field to enter it. So I go to services and see there still exists postgre 8.4 service.

I google and found the command how to delete:

sc delete postgresql-8.4

I run this command and I get :

[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

can you help me delete the service so I could reinstall?

Actually what I wanted to do at first is to recover the database from another hard drive of dead computer. So I read tutorial that I need to reinstal the posgresql. At first I tried to just stop the service, put data folder from old disk to new instalation, but that did not work out, the service was not able to start.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I think postgresql on Windows is one of those things where you have to reboot the computer after you uninstall it so it can deal with the background services it starts.

I think postgresql on Windows is one of those things where you have to reboot the computer after you uninstall it so it can deal with the background services it starts.

I have rebooted it after uninstall.

Edit:

btw I am using win 7

Well, then you may need to go into services and stop/disable the servers that are causing this problem before you can reinstall postgresql.

Well, then you may need to go into services and stop/disable the servers that are causing this problem before you can reinstall postgresql.

Hmm, I stopped the posgresql service, and I thought thats enough. Or is there any other services which I should stop as well?

removed postgre records in windows registry here and there, rebooted and it let me finally install. It all works now :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.