Yes, there have been times I prayed for this day, but I lost Internet Explorer. I have no shortcuts to IE11, and no way of starting it. All IE requests go to the old version, which crashes.
I upgraded via default web settings from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1. Once completed, I noticed that IE, accessed from shortcuts, would start, crash and re-start. Somehow, I wound up back on Metro and tried the link there to IE. I found IE 11 had been installed, and worked fine. But now the shortcuts to IE11 are missing from metro, and the links on my desktop (and in my settings, and everywhere else) refer to the old IE install.
Couple of things:
- When I access IE from the desktop shortcuts, the UI is OBVIOUSLY from the previous version of IE and not IE11, even though the "About" page shows Internet Explorer 11
- This version of IE will work for about thirty seconds, stop working, and then try to re-start.
- All links to IE, even in the "c:/program files/internet explorer" link to an install dated August 22. I updated to Win 8.1 on December 5.
- When I refer to "back on Metro," this is because I have installed and use Start Menu 8 by IObit. Stopping it makes no difference.
- Acer Aspire laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit on i7 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM
Thanks for your help, folks.