FOREWARD: moderators, please read what i am saying before you yell "piracy is bad" at me.........

My windows 98 media was destroyed but i still have all the COA and keys etc.....

Would it be legal for me to procure a pirated version of 98 and use my (legally acquired) licence key with it?

After reading the EULA it kinda implies it should be ok as the media doesnt matter, its all about the licence but its real confusing

Help!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

FOREWARD: moderators, please read what i am saying before you yell "piracy is bad" at me.........

My windows 98 media was destroyed but i still have all the COA and keys etc.....

Would it be legal for me to procure a pirated version of 98 and use my (legally acquired) licence key with it?

After reading the EULA it kinda implies it should be ok as the media doesnt matter, its all about the licence but its real confusing

Help!

If you own the licence for it you won't be breaking copyright law by acquiring the media again. However, if you do so by methods that upload as well as download (p2p) you would be breaking the law in theory.

You could always look on ebay and probably pick up a copy of the media for peanuts.

yeah i know some1 who sells dubioius cds at the market i planned to buy 1 and use my licence for it

Of course I feel that piracy is wrong, but I feel as long as a legal key is used, it should be alrite.

I dont see any issues either....

Actually, I think the best thing would be to simply contact Microsoft and explain the problem. My guess is that they have a download page for this type of problem--where a serial key is already used and isn't needed.

I thought Microsoft didn't care anymore about win 95, 98 and me. What I heard was that if you pirated those, Microsoft won't care or at least won't sue you, since they don't provide support for those anymore.

I thought Microsoft didn't care anymore about win 95, 98 and me. What I heard was that if you pirated those, Microsoft won't care or at least won't sue you, since they don't provide support for those anymore.

This isn;t totally true. I'veheardofa few instances were Microsoft prosecuted people for pirating theirolder software.

This isn;t totally true. I'veheardofa few instances were Microsoft prosecuted people for pirating theirolder software.

Was this recently? It was just this summer when they stopped providing support for the older systems.

(I'm a posting whiz! Yes!)

well it was end of line ex-ibm corporate stock when i got it so no help there

Im just gonna give up and install debian on the damn system its just annoying that i have the darn manual, coa and key, its just my recovery partition was fragged

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.