I have a cable internet connection via USB and cable modem. I installed an ethernet card to connect via ethernet. I plug the ethernet cable to my computer and to the cable modem and no internet. Do I need to change the settings on my computer in order to connect to the internet using my new ethernet connection? If so what do I need to do? Thanks in advance!

Damon

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

there are different ways of doing it, depending on your operating system
most cable providers use DHCP
so make sure the ethernet tcp/ip configuration is set to "obtain IP address automatically"
that's it basically

How would I go about doing that? Do you know how I can get there to change that "step by step"? I took a couple of years of computers in High School but that was before ethernet cards and cable connections were available. ;) I have Windows ME on a Compaq about 3 years old. Thanks for your time!

Damon

OK, tell me if this is the way to do it.

I click Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->

There are 3 choices in Network Connections

Can't remember right off hand and I am at work right now.

However, I click one of the 3, then click Properties->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)->Properties->

From here I click obtain IP adress automatically? Then click OK?

Thanks again for your time!

Damon

yep

I have a cable internet connection via USB and cable modem. I installed an ethernet card to connect via ethernet. I plug the ethernet cable to my computer and to the cable modem and no internet. Do I need to change the settings on my computer in order to connect to the internet using my new ethernet connection? If so what do I need to do? Thanks in advance!

Damon

before u go through everything else, try the basics first. most cblmdms are designed to regain a connection if it gets lost if at all possible. one of the mechanismisms (sp?) for doing that is remember the MAC (Media Access Code). if u dont clear the memory on the cblmdm it will still think its supposed to communicate w/ur usb connection & disregard the ethernet (rj45) connection.

1) identify the lights, and what they are doing, on ur cblmdm (cm) that indicate it has a connection to ur isp
2) shutdown pc (not absolutely necessary, but u might as well)
3) unplug cm pwr cord, making sure all lights go off on cm
4) make sure u have only either the usb or (in ur case crxtreme89h) the rj45 cbl connected to cm (if using usb wait to plug into pc until after pc is back up,or as its said, "hot" - but wait for that step; if ur using rj45 then u can plug it in now ("cold") or later when pc is up ("hot"))
5) wait at least a full minute (yes, its debateble that u really need to wait that long... so, u dont HAVE to, but...), then pwr up cm
6) (most important) wait until ur cm has the lights showing (& the way they need to be solid on/blinking/whatever) BEFORE u restart pc, but once theyre achieved go ahead & start ur pc
7) check ur internet connection; if u still cant connect proceed with t/s ur tcp/ip settings/configuration

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.