I've had a Linksys 4 port router working fine with 4 computers attached for about a year. Had a bad storm and no computer could connect to internet. Just figured it got fried and bought a new Linksys 4 port router, same model. Hooked everything back up. But only 3 of the 4 computers can get on the internet. I can't think of anything else to do and pray someone has an idea.

On the offending computer (a 2G Intel machine), I tried a different CAT cable...one from a computer that could hook up to the internet, and it still wouldn't log on, so I discounted the idea that the cable was bad.

I then uninstalled the internet card (via software, device manager), and when I booted up again, WinXP found a new device and installed the proper drivers, so it's seeing the ethernet card, and system properties say that it's working okay.

Understanding that nothing has been changed in properties of the card from when it was working fine, I doublechecked it again and everything is as it should be (i.e., obtaining an address automatically).

Additionally, none of the 3 computers can "see" this offending computer on the network, although we all have the same workgroup name.

Something is not working, but I don't know what else to check. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Would it be possible that winXP can "see" the card and install the drivers but still something is not working on the card? Should I swap out the ethernet card?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

did you try switching the port its hooked to on the router with one that worked? How long ago did you purchess (sp?) it? assuming your running either 2000 or xp on all four machine you will have to setup user names and passwords. You may want to buy a linksys 8 port switch and hook it to the router thats how i did it at my house. They run between 30 and 60$ depending on where you buy them. You can try asking tech. support at linksys I believe they have an email address or phone number you can call.

alex

Before any of that, try replacing the wires. Wires are usually the stubborn link in network connection problems.

Here's a little story about an experience with network wires: [thread]37[/thread]

Appreciate the thoughts.

I have tried different ports on the router. It has accommodatingly proven that all 4 ports work correctly by doing this. No matter what positioning I try, though, I only get 3 lights on (indicating 3 active connections) with 4 attached computers. I just received this Linksys router yesterday.

I had pulled one of the CAT cables from a computer that was working with the router/internet fine (this was an expensive one) and attached that to the offending computer, but it still wouldn't work, so I'm thinking that cable is good.

My plan will be on Thursday (got heavy workload today) to attach the cable modem directly to the bad computer to see if that even works. I should have tried this first, I guess, but it's in a bad position and will necessitate lots of computer moving, but I guess it's a necessary troubleshooting step. If it STILL doesn't work, I'll have to conclude that the ethernet card is bad, despite the fact that winXP is telling me it's working fine, and I can swap that out. (But if the offending computer IS able to log onto the internet directly, I will be really upset.)

Just so odd that everything stopped working one day...and replacing the item with the exact same item didn't work. If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know. Oh, I also went ahead and--for the hey of it--changed every computer's workgroup to a brand new name. By doing this, I can now see a shiny new workgroup with 3 computers. They still can't see that offending fourth and it can't see them, so there's no communication whatsoever with that bad boy. It just has to be the ethernet card! Please!

As an update, I connected the bad boy computer directly to the cable modem, and it worked. So the card is fine. I then tried connecting the bad boy to the router all on its lonesome without other computers on it, and it doesn't work.

It's gotta be some kind of software glitch, which is so frustrating because nothing has changed from when it initially worked. I've tried (via software) uninstalling all network connections and allowing winxp to find it again and reinstall when I reboot. Still can't connect through the router. My last thought is to uninstall the TCP/IP protocol and reinstall that to see if it helps. If not, I'm just gonna reformat. This makes absolutely no sense.

if you have both routers put 2 of your computers next to one another unplug them from the network and then connect one router to one machine and the other router to the other computer. assuming they have never had the passwords changed open up the IE browser ont both computers. Then type in 192.168.1.1 in each browser if these routers are the same as mine it should work. You will get a logon screen don't put anything in for the user name skip down to the password and type admin then you should be in the router look at all the settings and make sure they are set exactly like the old one. most linksys routers should work right out of the box. Make sure to hook the router that did work at one time to the misbehaving computer. Hook the good router up to a behaving computer. Try it and let me know how you make out. it is not the computer causeing you the problem it more then likely would not work on the internet if it was directly connected throught the cable modem if something was wrong with it.

Update on how it got to work if anyone else encounters this....

First off, I greatly appreciate all the suggestions. But the offending computer simply would not communicate with the router. The ethernet card was good, the cable was good, but it couldn't talk to the router (couldn't even get to the 192.168.1.1 step).

But I read a hint somewhere on a board about setting your ethernet card's speed. Now, I've never had to do this before and it's been working just fine for years. But being desperate I went ahead and specified the speed for 10 half duplex (I had tried 100 half duplex and it didn't work). This is a 10/100 Intel Desktop Adapter. The second I did that--BANG--I was on the internet and everyone could see the computer.

I don't understand anything about what I did or why it worked. Or why I had to do this now when I never had to before (and all the other 3 machines are just fine and dandy without my having to do anything). Obviously, the router required this or it wouldn't work with that machine. If anyone has any clarification on why setting the speed helped, I'd love to know!

Peggy

The auto-negotiation of the Linksys boxes all similar to yours (and mine even) get screwed up more than often, or just don't work at all without the necessary trial-by-error.

I know it's kludgy, bu that's how it goes.

Off topic:

Did you mean for your nick to be Peg? O is awfully close to P. :)

I did actually mean my nick to be Oeg. My actual name *is* Peg and oftentimes when I'm typing notes quickly, I hit the "o" rather than the "p." It got so I was seeing Oeg so often that I adopted that as my "game name"; i.e., my RPG characters are always named Oeg. So, by extension, here I am.

Oeg/Peg

I did actually mean my nick to be Oeg. My actual name *is* Peg and oftentimes when I'm typing notes quickly, I hit the "o" rather than the "p." It got so I was seeing Oeg so often that I adopted that as my "game name"; i.e., my RPG characters are always named Oeg. So, by extension, here I am.

Oeg/Peg

That's what it looked like. :)

Good to know your problem cleared up.

Had a bad storm and no computer could connect to internet.

Network cards/routers act extremely bizarre if a surge gets in the ethernet. My house was surged last summer and our router, also a 4 port Linksys, totally died. Windows was seeing my NIC but it was randomly giving me "cable disconnected" and would never actually get online, on this card changing integrity made no difference, I have plenty so I just put another in. I work with computers and once a week I get someone who can't connect to the same port they connect to everyday at work with the auto-select setting. Sometimes it just won't work until setting the link integrity to something other than auto-select. Another interesting piece of info is that the router that we thought had fried eventually started working again with no interaction on our part...little odd I thought since I goofed with it for hours resetting it and doing various voodoo dances. Lightning is some wacky stuff.

I also have worked part time for a chain of comp repair stores(CPR).And I always will remeber knowledge the elders dispensed to me.
1) Was that power dipps are more harmful to sensitive components than regular house surges.

I also have worked part time for a chain of comp repair stores(CPR).And I always will remeber knowledge the elders dispensed to me.
1) Was that power dipps are more harmful to sensitive components than regular house surges.

I've also found that installing hardware with the power plugged in is pretty bad for equipment as well as the nervous system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.