I need some help, please. I recently purchased a Linksys broadband router with speedboost for our office building. We have several wireless laptops. We have a T1 line. I plugged the wireless router into a direct drop, powered it on and I have a great signal. All of the laptops work fine and hit the internet. The problem is, I am not sure how I go about allowing those same laptops to see our LAN now. They need to be able to use network printers, see files on the server, etc. We are running Windows 2000 Server. I am a Novel person and don't know much about 2000 server. Could you please provide me with a listing of what I need to do to get those laptops to see the network too? I really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you. :idea: :idea:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If I understand you right, you have the Linksys now sitting between your laptops and your lan. This puts them on a different network than the rest of your lan. I presume your Wireless has a built in switch, because most of them do these days. Just plug the connection from your lan into one of the switch ports in the router, not the wan port. Before you do this, disable DHCP on the Linksys. When you restart the laptops, they'll get their IP addressing from your lan instead of the router and they'll be able to be configured just like your other machines.

If I understand you right, you have the Linksys now sitting between your laptops and your lan. This puts them on a different network than the rest of your lan. I presume your Wireless has a built in switch, because most of them do these days. Just plug the connection from your lan into one of the switch ports in the router, not the wan port. Before you do this, disable DHCP on the Linksys. When you restart the laptops, they'll get their IP addressing from your lan instead of the router and they'll be able to be configured just like your other machines.

Thank you so much for your help. I will try.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.