Hi, I just formatted my PC and now I'm having problem setting up my router.

I'm using Windows XP, internet by Rogers, and the wireless router is SMC7004VWBR.

However, my other pcs which are connected through the wireless router is still able to connect to the internet. Only my main pc cant.

I put in the CD containing SMC 7004 VWBR software, and in the setup, i get this msg "Adapter gateway IP does not match with wireless barricode router IIP. Please reset for 30 seconds and try again".

I reseted it, and it still doesnt work.
I tried typing 'cmd' in the Run menu to get into DOS, then typed in 'ipconfig'. All it showed me was 'Windows XP IP configuration'. No IP no gateway.. nothing.

My pc knowledge is very limited.. so if someone can help me, it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Has your router DHCP activated??
If you are connecting to the router by Wireless, yo have to configure the wireless adapter in your pc, and if the router is not acting as a DHCP server, you have to give a static IP adreess to tour pc.

Has your router DHCP activated??
If you are connecting to the router by Wireless, yo have to configure the wireless adapter in your pc, and if the router is not acting as a DHCP server, you have to give a static IP adreess to tour pc.

Err.. I dont understand a single thing what DHCP is all about. How do I activate it? And yes.. it is by wireless router.. but the real modem is connected to my PC (I think).
How do I give a static IP?

Also, I found out that in Device Manager, my 'Ethernet Controller' has a '!' mark on it and there is no Network Adapter!!

What is Ethernet Controller and how do I isntall it? Is it through CD or what...

Well The ethrent is what connect your pc to your network.

So, first you have to install the drivers for that ethernet adapter, using the CD or Floppy that comes with them.
Possibily adter that it beguns to work.
If not, I recomeneded to read the router manual, it will explain how to configurate the different network options.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.