Hey,

I currently operate a routed, wired home network. There is one XP, and two 98SE PCs on the network. I'm using a Linksys router.

I'm trying to add a new Compaq notebook PC to the network (operating on XP). During installation, I set everything up to automatically get the IP/DNS settings for the cable network. I went through the add to a network process, and the LAN PROPERTIES even say that the machine is connected.

However, the Internet just will not work. Is there any step-by-step tutorial someone can give me, or if someone had a similar problem, how did you fix it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Can you ping any of the other machines on the network? Can you ping a website? Go to a command prompt and type "ping server" where server is a domain name, server name, or IP address.

One more thing ... do you have an IP address? Go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and see if your network card has been assigned an IP such as 192.168.x.x

If it hasn't, type ipconfig /renew or ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.