Hi all,
So here is the deal, I am the pastor of a church with an attached school of 60+ students. Recently I have been volunteered to set up a server for the church and school (Pastors get volunteered for everything) I am looking at a mostly workstation based network of approx 20 computers, and then another 15+ personal computers that people will be using. So I will have to be doing user id logins... So here I am with only home networks on XP experience and wondering what OS I should be going with for the schools New server. Have had some experience with Novells, but have been told MS server 2003 is very simple for the administrator to use. At the same time I have network guru's saying Lynx, but I have never even touched a lynx OS and have no idea how simple it would be to pick up.... Someone please help give me some guidance on this (and please no one tell me that I should be hiring someone because I realize this, but school/church board say "it ain't gonna happen""$$$"... I know I can do this I just need a direction to get started in... )

Thanks,
Pastor Myles

(PS I should state I don't need to deal with email systems... yet *sigh*)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Pastor,

First, you need to come up with some information, such as how many computers are deployed already, how they are connected, how you are planning to have the visitors connect...i.e., wireless?

If you're going to administer this network, you need some training...I'd say that if you've set up a home network, you could get what you need off the web.

BUT, I would advertise for someone to volunteer help - I can't imagine not having an IT guy that would help you out while you deployed the network. Where are you located? If you got lucky, at the very least you'd have someone local to call if you get in trouble. And they would be able to give you hands-on instruction.

The equipment you use to network the system together is important as different vendors supply management software that can make your life a lot easier. zeroth

Finally, linux O/S is an open architecture and a lot more simple than learning Novell or Windows Server (nightmares both). If you learned them, you will adore linux...

Windows server 2003 or 2008 + XP Pro

Thats very easy to administer using something called active directory.

However, licences are quite expensive.

You can either use Microsofts Active Directory, or you can install Novell software on top of it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.