Can you use a VPN to stream audio/video at a higher rate than through the internet connection it is using?

My brain says no but I still have to ask.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

No. How many frames/sec are you transmitting?

No. How many frames/sec are you transmitting?

Fifteen fps would be good. I would like to view my network cameras through a VPN. I would also like to speed up my slingbox remote viewing.

You should be OK, I've got 4 cameras working over a simple Linksys router at 30fps and it works fine. You still can't increase the speed of the connection by tunneling, in fact there's some overhead added, but if you have issues, you certainly can use compression that can help.

Good luck,
zeroth

You should be OK, I've got 4 cameras working over a simple Linksys router at 30fps and it works fine. You still can't increase the speed of the connection by tunneling, in fact there's some overhead added, but if you have issues, you certainly can use compression that can help.

Good luck,
zeroth

Thank you, zeroth. I appreciate your help.

I took the two things I wanted to do and combined them. I can remotely view my cameras in real-time minus the network delay through my slingbox devices. My current slingbox (Directv/cable) a/v quality is acceptable but I would like better. But viewing my cameras using the slingbox allows me to do what I initially wanted to do.

Marked solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.