Hi,
I not sure where to look for information about wireless systems that have some kind of limited use session token/ability. We have a conference room where we host large meetings with people fly in from around the world to participate. Currently we have no wireless capabilities and we would like to add some.

We setup a simple Netgear wireless router, used WPA2 and ran it through a VMwared firewall. It worked like a charm. However if this solution was to become permanent my boss wants MAC address filtering. The problem is I really don't want to be landed with the extra job of entering everyone's MAC for each confrence.

While I have never used them I believe that some internet cafes have a system that prints a registration number user can enter to gain access to the network for a limited time.

Does anyone know what these systems are called and how much they cost etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
I not sure where to look for information about wireless systems that have some kind of limited use session token/ability. We have a conference room where we host large meetings with people fly in from around the world to participate. Currently we have no wireless capabilities and we would like to add some.

We setup a simple Netgear wireless router, used WPA2 and ran it through a VMwared firewall. It worked like a charm. However if this solution was to become permanent my boss wants MAC address filtering. The problem is I really don't want to be landed with the extra job of entering everyone's MAC for each confrence.

While I have never used them I believe that some internet cafes have a system that prints a registration number user can enter to gain access to the network for a limited time.

Does anyone know what these systems are called and how much they cost etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Starbucks uses AT&T for their WIFI connection. They use a subscription system and a "Starbucks Gift Card" system, all run by SBC Communications Inc. Basically, in order to connect, you will need AT&T WIFI credits or simply purchase a Starbucks Gift Card for as little as $5.00, go online and register your card via starbucks.com. Once you jump over some small hoops, and signing up for a free AT&T account, you may go to any starbucks and purchase something small like a newspaper with your newly registered Starbucks Card and have two (2) hours of "free" WIFI access for that day only. Moreover, you will have to accept a security certificate in order for your notebook to access the internet.

As far as the hardware Starbucks is using, I'm sure it is a Cisco server through their network. But I am just speculating. Most 'cafe' type places usually have free Wifi using standard routers (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) to allow connection to the internet absolutely free.

Places like airports, corporations and such usually have there servers tightly secure.

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.