I have a HP Pavillion m9040n I have installed a belkin N wireless USB adapter. my computer has a built in wireless G adapter (currently disabled). Can I use both simultaniously to increase speed through my router, or will there be other bottlenecks that would make it pointless?

I have a HP Pavillion m9040n I have installed a belkin N wireless USB adapter. my computer has a built in wireless G adapter (currently disabled). Can I use both simultaniously to increase speed through my router, or will there be other bottlenecks that would make it pointless?

It is unlikely that you will gain any speed from using both NICs. The router listens on a single channel, so if you add the second NIC you will effectively increase the overall channel utilization, but you won't gain any speed. Also, having both NICs enabled requires a little planning - you only have one default route in IP (although there can be weights), so you will not utilize the second NIC unless you explicitly instruct your system to route certain traffic out the second NIC. In my setup (I'm a network engineer) I use both my Ethernet and WiFi simultaneously; however, I use my WiFi to directly access a test setup I have and my Ethernet does Internet. So my route table is something like:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gw 10.10.10.1 (this is my Internet side)
10.11.89.0 255.255.255.0 gw 10.11.89.1 (this is my test bed)

This is a use of both NICs at once, but in your case you really won't see any benefit from the extra effort - unless you need a test bed :-)

-Jack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.