Hi,

I want to finally set up my home office correctly. I currently have DSL on one Windows PC. I want to create a small LAN with shared Internet, file sharing and possibly file back-up. I have 2 Windows machines (XP on one and soon Vista 64 on one) and two OSX Macs.

My questions:

Do I need a server to share the Internet and files or can it all be done with a router and switch? Is a server preferable? (I would pick a Linux variety - no Windows)

I have a couple of printers to network too. Is a print server device better or just print server software?

If there is a Linux server, can it share the Internet connection or is a router still needed to assign IP addresses to each machine? (I believe Verizon only provides dynamic IP's on my current plan and I would rather not pay them for additional IP's)

Thanks guys!

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by zeroth

need more info on dsl (heres a clue do u have 4 ports or one port on the back of the dsl..
also the manufacvturer of the dsl unit ...sometime there a combination dsl and router

Hi,
Do I need a server to share the Internet and files or can it all be done with a router and switch? Is a server preferable? (I would pick a Linux variety - no Windows)

if what you have is a router, and not a simple modem - yes, you can use it to share the internet link

I have a couple of printers to network too. Is a print server device better or just print server software?

why not simply connect printers to the machines, and share them out?

If there is a Linux server, can it share the Internet connection or is a router still needed to assign IP addresses to each machine? (I believe Verizon only provides dynamic IP's on my current plan and I would rather not pay them for additional IP's)

Linux will be used as a router, so a simple router box, or a linux server running iptables in NAT mode - doesn't matter

I currently have a Westel 2200 with one Ethernet port.

Linux will be used as a router, so a simple router box, or a linux server running iptables in NAT mode - doesn't matter

I don't understand: do you mean a router or a linux box will achieve the same thing? If so: if I choose a Linux server, then the DSL modem to the server, to a switch, to other machines, or what config.?

Thanks guys.

never even seen the Westel brand

however, if you set up a linux box as a router, simply set it up as the gateway on the other machines

ok i seen the specs according to your dsl you will need a router.... it will have a four port switch built in ...linksys is purfect for the job there cost is 50 if you wqant a wireless router will be more...

jorell

Wired is good for me. So you're saying Linux server AND router??

Syakoban,
Sounds like that Westel2200 is your modem since it has one ethernet connection. You need to get a cheap router to plug in there so you can share the connection. Either a wired router or a wireless router (for visitors or future growth) with 4 wired connections on the back. You don't need a linux machine, just another layer of software to worry about. zeroth

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.