Hello everyone, i am a newbie so please bare with me cause it's been only 4 days since i started working with windows server 2003,
I've made a DHCP server and the clients are getting their IPs correctly and the Internet service is working on the server computer, the only problem i am having is that the client still can't surf which seems it's something about DNS, the following is the statics i have:

1- Incoming Internet Service (from the ISP):-
IP (DHCPed): 192.168.0.111
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.0.1
DNS1 : 208.67.222.222
DNS2 : 208.67.220.220
----------------------------------------------

2- Router (is used to avoide the 255.255.255.0 mask problem from the ISP):-
IP (DHCPed) : 192.168.0.111
Scope(DHCP) : 10.0.0.3 - 10.0.0.254
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
----------------------------------------------

3- Windows Server:-
A- WAN (DHCPed)
B- LAN:-
IP : 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Scope: 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.254

PS: I've tried several DNS's, the origion DNS(208.67.222.222, 208.67.220220), as well as 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.50 (the WAN DHCPed IP) but nothing happened.

any help will be very appreciated, Thanks in advance :)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Is the information listed under "1 - ISP" the information they sent you on paper to configure your device or is it the ISP's router and you have another router of your own behind theirs?

I get these information when I put their connection on another independent PC, and then i called them to make sure of it and was correct.
BTW they're using mikrotik as their own server

So does the ISP have a router in your facility?

yup, as i think, they are routing using mikrotik but i can't reconfigure anything

Oh i forgot to mention that if i disattach the windows server pc, and connect clients directly to the router everything works like charm.

You have two DHCP servers on your network. Your Windows 2003 server and your ISP's router. Can you log into the router? If so log in and turn DHCP off. If you can't contact your ISP and have them do it.

All 10.x.x.x addresses are private class A addresses not public internet addresses.

You have two DHCP servers on your network. Your Windows 2003 server and your ISP's router. Can you log into the router? If so log in and turn DHCP off. If you can't contact your ISP and have them do it.

All 10.x.x.x addresses are private class A addresses not public internet addresses.

Thanks Freaktech for replying but actually i have 3 DCP routers, the ISP router, the windoes server router and the router in between them cause of their subnet mask.

The problem is not with the 10.0.0.x class, because at my home i have connection from another ISP which its IPs are from this class ( the A class), and i didn't have problems with making a small network at my home.

But i am going to change it and see if it works

Thanks Freaktech for replying but actually i have 3 DCP routers, the ISP router, the windoes server router and the router in between them cause of their subnet mask.

The problem is not with the 10.0.0.x class, because at my home i have connection from another ISP which its IPs are from this class ( the A class), and i didn't have problems with making a small network at my home.

But i am going to change it and see if it works

I wasn't saying there was a problem with it 10.x.x.x. if that's the class you want to use. But you are trying to use a Class A address that has a submask of 255.0.0.0 with a Class C that has submask of 255.255.255.0. What is your third DHCP server handing out? What is your Gateway? Do you have routes from each scope on the routers to communicate? How many systems are on your network? Is it necessary to subnet?

now the mid router (which is in between my server and their server) is giving 172.20.0.x DHCP and subnet 255.255.255.0, and the windows DHCP server is 10.10.10.x subnet 255.255.255.0 and i am still getting the same thing, just like before.

about your questions, there's only one PC which is the windows server PC behind the mid-router between the windows server and the ISP router, then the cliens those would connect to the windows server (the end users) may reach up to 200 - 250 client.

and i am using the third DHCP server (windows server) to control bandwith and also to have multi roles , 3 roles for each group.

now the mid router (which is in between my server and their server) is giving 172.20.0.x DHCP and subnet 255.255.255.0, and the windows DHCP server is 10.10.10.x subnet 255.255.255.0 and i am still getting the same thing, just like before.

about your questions, there's only one PC which is the windows server PC behind the mid-router between the windows server and the ISP router, then the cliens those would connect to the windows server (the end users) may reach up to 200 - 250 client.

and i am using the third DHCP server (windows server) to control bandwith and also to have multi roles , 3 roles for each group.

So all clients will be getting DHCP from the Windows Server?

So all clients will be getting DHCP from the Windows Server?

Yes, but according to their role, means some will have full access (guests) and others won't (some of employees)

Yes, but according to their role, means some will have full access (guests) and others won't (some of employees)

Then you don't need the other two DHCP servers. Assign them static IP addresses for their LAN ports. Set your Gateway on the Server 2003 DHCP setting to the IP of the mid router. On the mid router set the Gateway address to the IP of the ISP router and you should be good to go.

Then you don't need the other two DHCP servers. Assign them static IP addresses for their LAN ports. Set your Gateway on the Server 2003 DHCP setting to the IP of the mid router. On the mid router set the Gateway address to the IP of the ISP router and you should be good to go.

How come!!, i agree with you that i don't need the DHCP mid-way router which is between the ISP's router and the windows server at my end, but i do need the windows server to be DHCP.

How come!!, i agree with you that i don't need the DHCP mid-way router which is between the ISP's router and the windows server at my end, but i do need the windows server to be DHCP.

I am not saying to remove DHCP from the Windows Server. I am saying to turn off DHCP on the mid-way router and the ISP router. Then change the settings on your Windows server DHCP to hand out the correct gateway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.