Hey All,

Im trying to set up Bind9 on my hardy VPS, ive have a few websites which i want to host but i can't seem to get Bind to work. When i dig for my domain i don't get an answer just some info in the Authority section.

(The ip address and domain name are made up, but are consistent with the setup ive got regarding their locations in files and such)
My VPS IP Address :
Forwarder IP Address 1 :
Forwarder IP Address 2 :
This is my set up so far:


search mydomain.co.uk


// Consider adding the 1918 zones here, if they are not used in your
// organization
//include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";

zone "mydomain.co.uk" in {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/mydomain.co.uk.db";

zone "91.91.91.in-addr.arpa" in {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/zones/rev.91.91.91.in-addr.arpa";


options {
recursion yes;
    directory "/var/cache/bind";

    // If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
    // to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
    // directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
    // questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 and later use an unprivileged
    // port by default.

    // query-source address * port 53;

    // If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable 
    // nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.  
    // Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing 
    // the all-0's placeholder.

     forwarders {;;

    auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
    listen-on-v6 { any; };


$TTL 86400

mydomain.co.uk. IN SOA ns1.livedns.co.uk. admin.mydomain.co.uk. (
2 ; serial
3H ; refresh
1H ; retry
1W ; expire
1D ; ttl

; name servers
@    IN      NS      ns1.livedns.co.uk.
@    IN    NS    ns2.livedns.co.uk.

; Replace the IP address with the right IP addresses.
@    IN    A
www    IN    A
ns1    IN    A
ns2    IN    A


$TTL 604800  ;  604800seconds

@    IN    SOA   ns1.livedns.co.uk. admin.mydomain.co.uk. (
                              1 ; serial number
                              604800         ; refresh
                              86400        ; update retry
                              2419200         ; expiry
                              604800 )         ; minimum
    IN      NS      ns1.livedns.co.uk.
    IN      NS      ns2.livedns.co.uk.
91    IN      PTR     www.mydomain.co.uk. ; qualified name

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post the actual configuration files with unaltered ip/hosts and the output of when you dig the hosts you're looking up. I have helped with a number of bind setup issues and almost every time someone masks hosts/ips they make a mistake when translating to fictitious addresses. Also what do you mean by "bind doesn't work"?

Suppose i worded it wrong with Bind doesn't work, more along the lines of i didn't know how to make it work.

Well i've managed to get it working now, when i dig my domain name i get the answer i was expecting.

I added glue records aswell but when i try to view my website i get "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." error. Any ideas?

No, not really. You haven't posted enough information yet to answer any of your questions. Run tcpdump on your DNS server and watch for the inbound dns queries and see if they are being serviced (responded to). That would be where I would start looking.

To see a summary of DNS lookups: tcpdump -i eth1 port 53 or
To see the details: tcpdump -i eth1 port 53 -A -s5000 -X Note -- Your NIC may not be eth1. You need to either omit that or change it to your internet facing NIC.

I actually managed to figure out that my iptables was blocking it. Plus i was trying to dig my domain name before i had set up Glue Records, first time ever doing this so i suppose i only have my stupid self to blame.

Everything is up and running fine now.

Thanks for the replies ^_^

I'm glad you got it working

Please mark this thread as solved (as you answered your own question :P) and good luck!