Hello
I would like to ask ask you how I could enable a mandatory login password when accessing a computer with Win XP Home edition.

I know I can change permissions by booting Win XP Home in safe mode. But what I see then is just three users:

"admin"
"my user"
"SYSTEM"

The problem comes because I do not know what settings I have to put after booting in safe mode.

I would like to prevent other users from entering into this computer from other computers in the same local network without having to enter a password.
I have to add that I have tried this out with and without password and none worked. I mean I tried with the user "my user" with a password and then the password is required whenever I want to enter from the computer I created this user for. However if I try to access this computer from another computer in the same local network then it does not require any password.
If if do not set any password for "my user" then likewise, other computers can access this one if they are in the same local network.
Any idea?
Thank you very much in advance.

I don't believe you can with XP Home, you need XP professional to do this.

Denis

Hello
I would like to ask ask you how I could enable a mandatory login password when accessing a computer with Win XP Home edition.

I know I can change permissions by booting Win XP Home in safe mode. But what I see then is just three users:

"admin"
"my user"
"SYSTEM"

The problem comes because I do not know what settings I have to put after booting in safe mode.

I would like to prevent other users from entering into this computer from other computers in the same local network without having to enter a password.
I have to add that I have tried this out with and without password and none worked. I mean I tried with the user "my user" with a password and then the password is required whenever I want to enter from the computer I created this user for. However if I try to access this computer from another computer in the same local network then it does not require any password.
If if do not set any password for "my user" then likewise, other computers can access this one if they are in the same local network.
Any idea?
Thank you very much in advance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.