Hi i have 2 computers connected by a router using a cable modem and cat 5. But my one computer will no longer get a connection to the internet ive checked the cat 5 took router off and hooked straight in to the internet but heres the thing my computer that works uses asubnetmask of 255.255.255.0 and the one that doesnt work uses 255.255.0 also the one that works is assigned by DHCP while the one that doesnt work uses a private something. I dont know if those have something to do with it. All the lights work on the net card so i dont think its that any problems i reformated and still doesnt work. HELP

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have xp sp2and when the bad computer is connected it will send like 60 or so packets and not recieve any. The good one both are over 10000. I have also tried taking off the firewall with sp2 with no luck either

Hi i have 2 computers connected by a router using a cable modem and cat 5. But my one computer will no longer get a connection to the internet ive checked the cat 5 took router off and hooked straight in to the internet but heres the thing my computer that works uses asubnetmask of 255.255.255.0 and the one that doesnt work uses 255.255.0 also the one that works is assigned by DHCP while the one that doesnt work uses a private something. I dont know if those have something to do with it. All the lights work on the net card so i dont think its that any problems i reformated and still doesnt work. HELP

hi what kind of routear do yo havecall the routear company they will tell you what to do good luck

Please do the following on the problematic computer:

* Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu. In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window

* At the DOS prompt, type the following command and hit Enter. You won't see any result from the command, but when it completes a second prompt with a flashing cursor will be displayed; close the DOS box once that happens:

ipconfig /all >ipconfig.txt

* The above command will have created a text file on you desktop named ipconfig.txt; double-click on the file to open it in Notepad, and then cut-n-paste the file's contents in your next post.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.