So, I have seen posts about this problem from many people, but as of yet no concrete solution. has anyone come up with a cause and solution to this issue of certain internet application ceasing to work after a certain amount of time? My XP machine has been running into the problem of after a couple hours no longer being able to access the internet via either IE or FireFox. Other internet connectivity seems to be somewhat working. All I need to do to get things to continue working again is log off, then log back in (NOT REBOOT, although reboot also fixes the issue for a few hours).
This problem first hit me a couple of months ago. I temporarily fixed the problem by running Norton AntiVirus, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Adaware in Safe mode with recovery turned off. This seemed to fix the problem for a few days, but then it came back again. So I repeated the steps, but this time I unistalled a bunch of unused apps, and reset my Winsock Catalogue by executing the command "netsh winsock reset " from a DOS prompt.
This solved my problems for a few weeks, but now the problem has once again come back, and now nothing I do is fixing the problem (I've tried everything I listed above to no avail). I have updated all my AdWare programs and Norton Anti-Virus to the lates definitions, and I run all these adware and virus detection programs in Safe mode.
Please, anyone with insight as to what's going on, please let me in on the secret.