Hi there!
i have a server 2008 installed and connected al the client to the server but the clients could not browse the internet, I dont really understand why... guys help me out

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

This may be an issue related to name resolution. It would be helpful if you had a diagram of your network and elaborate on your DNS configuration.

Hello,

JorgeM is correct that we need more information on how your network is connected together. How the computers are connected will tell us how to guide you to fix this. For example, The way you worded the question implies to me that you have the server 2008 system connected to two netowrks. One with the clients on it and one that goes external to the internet. For that to work you would have to route traffic from the clients through the server. But I will save getting more specific till you tell us more.

Thanks guys, this is how my network is.....I av a server,server2008 installed on it and av two lan card installed on it as well, one of the lan card was connected to a modem and has an IP 83.299.4.76, subnet mask: 255.255.255.248, gateway: 83:229.4.73, dns:83.299.88.30 alt dns 217. and the second lan card has an IP: 192.168.0.4 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and this was connected to the switch. DHCP was configure on the server as well with IP range 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.70. The clients get IP from the server and connected to each others but they could not browse the internet.

Ok then, for this to work, you have to enable Routing and Remote Access on the server and add the NAT service. You also have to make sure your DHCP client's default gateway is the private side NIC of the server. Feel free to post the results of ipconfig from a client to validate this for you.

I have a video tutorial on how to enable NAT on a Windows 2008/2008 R2 server that covers the steps on how to configure this service including a demo.

http://youtu.be/nQhFbEPlRsU

Hello, I av done that and cannot still browse, is there anytin I am still doing wrong? This is the ipconfig of one of the client
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\DROCK>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DROCK-HP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Riverside

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 66-6D-57-04-4E-F0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-6D-57-04-86-B8

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-6D-57-04-4E-F0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Riverside
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A0-B3-CC-C3-1A-72
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 January 2013 14:54:47
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 January 2013 14:54:46
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.229.4.73
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.229.4.73
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\DROCK>

The problem here is that your client's default gateway (DG) is incorrect. If you are trying to pass traffic through the server, then the DG for your clients should be the server's private-side interface. You need to update your DHCP scope so that the proper configuration is provided to your clients. Here is what I gather from the information you provided... Take a note of the IP settings that are depicted in this diagram. This should be the correct configuration.

network1

If this is a workgroup environment, you could configure the clients to use the external DNS servers. However, if you decide to install Active Directory services within your network, you will need to install the DNS role as well on your internal network. You would then need to update your internal clients to point to your internal DNS server(s) for DNS name resolution.

Summary:
For this design to work, you must be running RRAS/NAT on the server, and your DHCP configuration must be updated.

My Recommendation:
Rather than running NAT services on the server and having all of the client traffic pass through this server, I would highly suggest that you purchase at least a consumer based router and plug the switch into that router, then connect all of your network hosts into that switch. While Windows servers can function as routers, it is not the best approach, nor is it the most cost effective use for a Windows license.

Here is an example of a network diagram that will support Active Directory for a small office/home office type network. The server (192.168.1.200) would be running services such as Active Directory Domain Services, DNS, and DHCP. The DHCP service on the router would be disabled.

network2

Here is an additional resource that may be useful to you.
How IP Packets are Routed on a Local Area Network: Guide | Video

JorgeM thanks, it is working perfectly now....I really appreciate you guys

Hi guys, anyone knows any good anti virus for windows server?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.