Im new to this and im working on a project which is to set up client/server network.

Server: Windows 2003
Client: XP

After adding users to active directory and log on to the client machine, I keep on getting this message "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later."

I log on locally and ping the server and it works fine. what am i missing.

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

Did you add the XP system to the domain and is Server 2003 set up to be a domain controller for the domain? I think the second question is yes if you have set up active directory and added users. If you need to add the xp system to the domain right click on My Computer and Under the TAB for computer name change the computer from being part of a workgroup to a member of a domain. You will have to have a domain administrators username and password to connect the computer to the domain.

Make sure that the client DNS settings for your XP computer is pointing ONLY to the DC and not your router or ISP DNS servers. If your client queries any DNS server other than a DNS server that has a zone with AD information, it will not be able to locate your DC(s).

problem solved!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.