Hello Forum,

I am glad to be on your forum for the first time. Greetings to all from Ghana.

I am the Database Administrator for the company I work for. For two year now I have been researching on how to centralize our database system so that other offices can access the database in other regions on the internet.

When I consulted our ISP it was explained that we can only do that on Static IP Address. We are given a range of numbers that five computers can use. With one assigned to the database server, the database can be accessed on the internet. However, the head office alone uses more than 20 computers. We use HG532e (Home Gateway) as the Router and a Switch for our networking system.

We have been advised to configure one of the Static IP addresses for another modem so that it can serve the rest of the computers to access the internet on Dynamic. Now, I do not know how to do the configuration. We have another available router HG556a (all products of Huawei Technologies). The Static is working, but the rest of the computers cannot be connected to the internet. Does anyone has idea to help me?

I shall be glad for a positive solution

Regards,

Godis

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You really only need one external static IP that is assigned to your office router-gateway. Then you configure the router to forward the appropriate ports for the database to the machine that is your database server. That machine you want to assign a static IP within your unrouted internal subnet.

This is called "tunneling", or sometimes "pinholing". You do want to make sure that your database server is hardened and running iptables to only allow connections from your remote offices, which should also have static IP addresses assigned to their routers so that you can create the appropriate iptables rules.

Hi rubberman,

Thanks so much for your reply. Now, the homepage of a sample database can be accessed at http://197.251.225.122:8080/apex when the database server is on. Currently it is on so anyone may try and confirm.
Now, we have configured 197.251.225.125 to another router as a gateway and connected to a Switch to distribute internet connection to about 20 computer in the office but it is not working for the 20 computers. Where have we missed the track?

I still need a help

Regards,

Godis

Have you validated that those IPs are indeed online? I am not able to ping either of those public IPs, at least not from the network where i'm at.

Now, we have configured 197.251.225.125 to another router as a gateway and connected to a Switch to distribute internet connection to about 20 computer in the office but it is not working for the 20 computers

For this type of setup that only requires outbound access to the internet, your perimiter router needs the WAN interface to be setup with the public IP address, NAT enabled, and the internal IP address space would be configured with private IPs reserved for private networks as published in RFC 1918. For example... 192.168.1.x/24 range...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.