I have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar cable modem. The internet & stuff works fine for a while then after wards the data light on the cable box keeps flashing even tho i got nothing else running, & when i try to connect to any web sites it doesnt work i have to end up restarting the pc. i have checked for hackers, no sign of em. what could the problem be?? ive even installed new drivers. Another thing is that i use Mirc & it seems to be happening when im using that.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

This sounds like a ISP issue more than anything else, i would try contacting them :)

I have also tried repairing the connection in Network Connections in control panel & comes up with repair connection failed the renewing of IP address.

What happens when you restart the pc? Do you get a connection then? Do you have another system you can try it out on? I'm assuming that you're running Windows XP, right? What does the ipconfig /all command give you? What do the lights on the cable modem indicate?

There are plenty of things that could be going on with the system. Possibly, it's an ISP issue. Considering the way my ISP is, I like to eliminate everything on my side before calling them up.

When i restart the PC it works fine but crashes again after a while, the lights just flash continuously, but cant access the net or anything that connects to the net like msn. I dont think it is an ISP issue coz i reformated my HD & worked fine UNTIL i used TCP Optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in.php?category=100
Ive eliminated all possibilities like hacking, virus,ISP etc, the TCP Optimizer worked fine when i used it before, but just recently i updated my Cable modem drivers & applied the Optimizer & now its causing problems, so im suspecting the Optimizer, what do u think???

Another thing is that i use Mirc & it seems to be happening when im using that.

What happens when you don't run mIRC?

I first notcied the crash while i was using Mirc constantly, but now even when i dont use it, it still crashes.

I went back to the windows default settings on TCP optimizer, & it still crashes, so its not the optimizer thats causing the problem. Other guess's are that theres some fault in the box or USB.

Problem sorted! just installed windows service pack 1 & seems to have wiped out the problem. No crashes since installing it :D

The problem seems to have come back again, the cable modem crashed & this time when i go to re-boot it comes up with a blue screen saying some sort of error in ntfs.sys, i dont know if that had caused the crash this time round, should i re-install XP?

The problem seems to have come back again, the cable modem crashed & this time when i go to re-boot it comes up with a blue screen saying some sort of error in ntfs.sys, i dont know if that had caused the crash this time round, should i re-install XP?

Can you write down the exact error and post it here.

Although you say that you've checked for hackers, viruses, etc., it sounds possible that the problem could very well originate from some piece of spyware/adware. Have you run Ad Aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy to make sure there's no malware on the system? If not, I'd highly recommend you do so. Both programs are free downloads; pop the programs' names into a Google search to find download sites.

As far as the ntfs.sys error, that sounds like corruption caused by the crash. You might have to reinstall, but I'm not sure...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.