First time here, seems nice so i'll ask my question.

Alright When am i on my network i try to connect to my other computer using the following (dos) command:

net use \\computer_name\ipc$ /u:account_name

However the computer has a hostname and a computer name but no user name. with the computer_name i use the name of computer (obviously) but with the account name i'm a bit confused. I'm assuming its the user name. But what if the pc i'm trying to access has not network username? Do i use the network username or the username of their Windows XP on the pc?

Oh and what if it doesn't have a Comp Name? What do i input then?

I hope my question is worth answering. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First time here, seems nice so i'll ask my question.

Welcome :)

However the computer has a hostname and a computer name but no user name. with the computer_name i use the name of computer (obviously) but with the account name i'm a bit confused.

you are probably confused about the terminology
a hostname is the computer name if you want to make it simple. you can find it out by typing "hostname" in cmd

users are in the control panel - user accounts windows, or to make it better and more useful - rightclick "my computer", choose "manage" and go into the users and groups. everything is pretty simple there

if you are in a domain with a domain controller, the usernames are there.

I'm assuming its the user name. But what if the pc i'm trying to access has not network username? Do i use the network username or the username of their Windows XP on the pc?

no such thing as network username. only local users and domain users if you are on a domain.

Oh and what if it doesn't have a Comp Name? What do i input then?

cmd - hostname will give you the answer

what you do, assuming the computer is called "Some-PC" and there is a user there called "User1" who is in the local administrator group is:

net use z: \\some-pc\$ipc /u:"some-pc\user1"
or even better - don't use /u:, the command will ask you for username and password

BTW make sure there IS A PASSWORD. empty passwords are troublesome

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Thanks for your help, i will respond in this thread later if i continue to have any issues pertaining to this subject

~EDIT
i just read that last bit. What if the default administrator account is still activated how do i go about accessing that since it has no p-word.

what's wrong with the admin account being active?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.