Hi, I just moved, and I'm having problems getting a ftp server and vnc working with a Verizon DSL Gateway. The model number is GT704-WG. I'm using ALFTP as my ftp server, and tight vnc as my vnc server. I can access ftp and vnc inside the Lan, but I can't seem to get to it over the net. I've checked my public ip (which I'm not going to give here but it starts with a 70), and it hasn't changed over the past week. It might not be static, but I don't mind as long as I can access it occasionally. I've also forwarded all the corrects ports 21, 5500, 5800, and 5900 to my machine, which is configured to have a static private ip of 192.168.1.100. According to an online scanner, the ports aren't blocked by my isp. The router does have a nat firewall, but even when I disable it. I can't get through. I'm lost because getting all of this working was really easy with my other isp, and an old wrt54g. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. I would like to have these things working because I go to school an hour away, and it's really helpful to have access to my files and to control my desktop on occassion.

I think you have packet sniffers installed in the gateway which drops the packets for ftp and vnc. basically i'm not aware with the specifications of the Verizon Gateway you are using. try one thing use ethereal to chekc out which are the packets being routed and which ones are dropped. I think the report should let you know what to do???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.