Hi I have an Acer "travelmate 270" . Bought it second hand, was working perfectly, then one day for no apparant reason, when I turned it on, I just got a blank screen. The power lead light is on, and it checks the dvd player, then the fan stops and we go no further. I tried re seating the ram, and then it started with a lot of beeping, so I put a Knoppix start up CD in the drive and booted it from that and it was OK till I turned it off. When I turn it on again I go throgh that whole process again.
Any ideas as to my problem? :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

Hi I have an Acer "travelmate 270" . Bought it second hand, was working perfectly, then one day for no apparant reason, when I turned it on, I just got a blank screen. The power lead light is on, and it checks the dvd player, then the fan stops and we go no further. I tried re seating the ram, and then it started with a lot of beeping, so I put a Knoppix start up CD in the drive and booted it from that and it was OK till I turned it off. When I turn it on again I go throgh that whole process again.
Any ideas as to my problem? :sad:

Did you end up fixing your laptop? I have a travelmate 290 that does the exactly the same thing.

-Ben

Did you end up fixing your laptop? I have a travelmate 290 that does the exactly the same thing.

-Ben

Hi Ben,
yes I fixed it thanks. I had caused the ram to malfunction, by continually letting my battery power run too low. You need to take out the ram then put it back and start up using AC power. Use a start up disc if you have to, to get it to boot up. Then use the computer only on the AC for a couple of times. Turn off when you are using battery power and it starts to run low, as this is what caused my problem. Now my acer 270 is working perfectly (maybe I should touch wood after saying that)
Anyhow, it was definately a ram problem, you may need a new ram if its still faulty.
Good luck
anndroid. :)

Hi Ben,
yes I fixed it thanks. I had caused the ram to malfunction, by continually letting my battery power run too low. You need to take out the ram then put it back and start up using AC power. Use a start up disc if you have to, to get it to boot up. Then use the computer only on the AC for a couple of times. Turn off when you are using battery power and it starts to run low, as this is what caused my problem. Now my acer 270 is working perfectly (maybe I should touch wood after saying that)
Anyhow, it was definately a ram problem, you may need a new ram if its still faulty.
Good luck

HI Anndriod

Thanks for your reply, letting the battery go flat is what cause my acer to stop working. I will try what you suggested tonight.

Thanks again.

-Ben

i have a similar problem on two of my travelmate 290's ... white screen, no boot. Try starting with A/C Power, but that only works sometimes.

Hy

I have the same problem could please you explain me if you have solved it.

thank you very much

j

yo,
i have an acer aspire 1691WLMi... i have practaly the same problem. i press the on button, power light comes on... but just a blank screen, no bios... should i try taking out the ram!
PS, it has vista home premium installed.... if that makes a difference!
thanks John

I have a HP Pavilion dv2000 (CTO?) that has the same problem. It died while I was backing up some filming that I had done, and now it shows up as a black screen. The hard drive is going, the fan is running, but it doesn't do anything else. But I always run on AC.

(I had HP repair it while it was under warrenty, but I desperately needed to use it for schoolwork (I missed about two weeks or so of schoolwork while it was being repaired). And it was at the end of the warrenty anyhow. (They repaired the wrong thing the first time, so I had to send it back and by the time it got back the second time...). In short, HP sent it back without the ability to use a battery).

But anyhow, is the ram the only thing that I can try? Or are there other solutions? I've noticed that it fixes itself after a week, but I am right up against a deadline for a project that is due by tomorrow at the latest and thus I don't have the time for it to fix itself.

Oh, and it also "starts up" (the power goes on, HDD moves, fan moves, DVD drive moves) when I plug it in while it is having the problem.

So far, the things that I have tested from my previous times (and have not worked). I have tried a few of them this time.:

1) complete unplug and holding power button for 30 seconds then retry.
2) removing and replacing the HDD.
3) New power supply
4) Different power source
5) Placing the battery in (this was way before: we got the smell of burnt plastic so I ejected (literally) the battery)
6) spamming the F10 buttons and such. No beeps, no sound but for the natural tapping sound from the button itself.
7) forced turn off and then turning back on.
8) oh yes, and I did try an external monitor.
9) unplugging everything and testing every combination of the connected devices including no connected devices and all connected devices.

Hi Ben,
Good luck

hi. i had the same problm on my toshiba x205, but my dvdrom is busted so i cant boot from cd..and the bios is set HDD next to it. do you have any suggstion?
tx b4

I just had a similar problem with my Acer travelmate. The screen was blank when I turned it on. I reset the ram, then it worked. I'm so glad I came across this thread. Thank you.:)

i experienced this problem: power on but all on the screen is blank..what should i do..
hope someone would reply..thanks

I just had a similar problem with my Acer travelmate. The screen was blank when I turned it on. I reset the ram, then it worked. I'm so glad I came across this thread. Thank you.:)

My Tosho A 105 is doing the same thing and I have tried every tip mentioned in most of these threads and post on booting trouble.

What I do have is a completely dead battery and was wondering if this was the problem. I did not do a cmos battery removal and replacement either. But the HD works...the Optical seems to click on and off as if the machine is looking to boot from a disc but when putting in the boot disc still a No Go!

maybe a mobo thing??? HELP!!! Anybody!!

This reseting the ram...didn't do that yet...how is that done?

My Tosho A 105 is doing the same thing and I have tried every tip mentioned in most of these threads and post on booting trouble.

What I do have is a completely dead battery and was wondering if this was the problem. I did not do a cmos battery removal and replacement either. But the HD works...the Optical seems to click on and off as if the machine is looking to boot from a disc but when putting in the boot disc still a No Go!

maybe a mobo thing??? HELP!!! Anybody!!

This reseting the ram...didn't do that yet...how is that done?

It only took 11 hours over two days or reading every post and thread on toshiba A 105's and every tip, tryout , upside down, right side up, hold down buttons, switch HD's, pull cmos batts and shake, rattle and role...and the one thing i did not do is....GET THIS...
SWITCH RAM SOCKETS!!! I pulled the 512 stick out and put into the other side and ...VIOLA!!! It fired up like a brand new out of the box sweetheart!
But WOW...what a learning experience!!! Thanks anyway folks but I am off to pat myself on the back...BIGTIME!!! :)

That tip would be on thousands of posts here, you must have been looking in the wrong places. But congratulations on getting your machine working.
I would ask you to close this thread, but it is not yours...

Thanks Bob....this posting is kinda new to me and I am just getting use to it. Maybe I should have started a new thread?

We have a Presario CQ50-110US notebook PC. We had the same problems. We were getting power but had the black screen. We went to the HP website and tested everything - ram, etc. HP said that we probably needed a new hard drive. (We are 2 mo. out of warranty.)However, someone suggested that it might be the battery. (This seemed crazy since we usually use this PC plugged in to an outlet.) We unplugged the PC, removed the battery, held down the 'power on' button for about 30 seconds. Then we plugged it back in to the AC (minus battery) and still had black screen. So, we gave up and unplugged it. We let it sit unplugged (with battery still out) overnight. The next day, We plugged it into the AC (with battery still out) and it booted up like nothing had ever happened.
Snookempookems

Ok, i have an acer aspire 1410. I dissasembled it the n reassembled and it worked fine, but then after i restarted it it wouldnt work. The turn on is delayed around 10 seconds after button is pushed, and i get nothing but a black screen. it wont boot, i dont even hear the fan starting up. What should i do?

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
You have hijacked a thread and should have started your own, if what I suggest here will not help you, start a new thread with more details about your machine, OS and what you did and why you needed to dismantle it etc..
From the information you have given I would suggest that you have not correctly connected one or more connections when you reassembled your machine. While it was good enough to work the first time is has worked loose and wont work now. Dismantle it again and check all plugs, and the RAM installation. Try running with no main battery. In fact just do everything that Snookempookems did above.
If no good, start a new thread please.

Bob,
Some folks like to take things apart (knowing that they will never work again.) They just need to refrain from telling everyone. It makes them look silly. People who read these threads want answers. They are already frustrated.
Snookempookems

Ok, i have an acer aspire 1410. I dissasembled it the n reassembled and it worked fine, but then after i restarted it it wouldnt work. The turn on is delayed around 10 seconds after button is pushed, and i get nothing but a black screen. it wont boot, i dont even hear the fan starting up. What should i do?

Mate, did you figure out what was wrong.

purchased two Acer 1410's. One is working fine but the other has the exact same problem as yours.

Worked fine for 4 days and then all of a sudden we go to turn it on and get a blank screen.

iv taken out the ram, hdd, held down the power button, tried all crazy combos.

If i take the computer apart a take out the CMOS battery I can get it to turn on and start to boot, but it freezes on the windows logo and on the restart Im back to the blank screen.

any ideas?! Im so pissed off that this is a brand new computer and its screwed up already.. I tried contacting acer but they are hopeless.

they told me three times to use a recovery disc after I repeatedly told them the 1410 does not have a DVD/CD drive.

ARghhhh!

My acer 9407 has done the same thing, black screen with hdd firing up etc.... It did this a couple of weeks ago but just fixed itself. This time it seems to be permanent. :( . Gonna try this ram thing and see what happens....Stay posted ppl

Well, it didnt fix it ,so, I`ve just left the laptop with the battery removed until the weekend. Gonna see if it starts working again by itself. Computers.....who needs `em:-/

This thread seems to deal mostly with lap tops but am having the same problem with an old HP desk top. No changes in config for years. Working well (OK slow and clunky but working) until last week. Restarted computer after browser freeze (happens all the time with this clunker) and on reboot froze. Getting power to monitor and computer (LED idication) but monitor never comes past standby. Fans start in cpu case and DVD is checked but no sign (LED) or sound of the Hard Drive spinning up. Tried manual restart (Button) couple of times and eventually booted. Down again today and no joy on manual reboot. Will open the case tonight. What have got from thread so far is possible battery failure!? Will remove battery, (makes sense as computer over 5 years old?) and try restart. If any other ideas, thanks in advance.

Hi,
Thanks. I have the screen blank issue with Acer D150 and I followed your method and it worked like a charm. Took out the battery, unplugged the AC adapter, took out the ram and put it back in, plugged back in the AC adapter (left the battery out of this still) and started up and it worked. Many thanks to your solution.

Cheers,

Patrick

Tag (here for the internet searchers who get into the same situation):

Acer D150 black screen resolved
Acer D150 screen does not turn on resolved
Acer D150 screen black out resolved

I have a clevo 870 and it too had black screen and the fans ran for about 15secs and then stopped leaving only light in a few things on front. First I tried switching the rams, then tried running each of them alone and that did it.
It was one of the ram blocks that stopped working, nice I ran into this thread :).

Hi I have an Acer "Aspire 5570Z" . was working perfectly, then one day for no apparant reason, when I turned it on, I just got a blank screen. The power lead light is on, , then the fan stops and we go no further. I tried re seating the ram, so I When I turn it on again I go throgh that whole process again.
Any ideas as to my problem?

acer laptop travelmate 7320 starts up, boots up, switches off. please help

medion laptop not switching on, all the lights on, screen off and fan spin for some seconds and stop. plis help

Hello,

I have an old Toshiba laptop and I had the same issue. Black screen, no cursor, no bios screen, nothing. Tried putting in my OS disk to repair anything, and nothing. I spent hours scouring the internet trying to figure out what the problem was. Nothing seemed to match my issue or have a solution, until I found this.
My issue was the battery. All I had to do was take it out and push the power button to let the charge run out. Plugged it in without the battery and ran good as new.
To everyone who has contributed to this thread, thank you so. very. much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.