About 2 months ago I bought 2, 1 GBs ram sticks, that I was going to put in both my computer and my moms.

Now first let me say that I worked at a computer store for a few months and I know the parts and how to put a computer together, but I'm definitely not a wiz.

Anyways, back on topic... When I installed my ram chip, my computer wouldn't boot up. It would go to the screen where you can access BIOS and it froze while doing the "memory test" and the keyboard stops responding as well. When I contacted the person who sold me the ram sticks, he told me that my PC needed "low-density" ram and these ram sticks were "high-density" and for $40 more he would replace them.

Fast forward to last night. I decided that after about a week or 2 of my computer randomly shutting off, for no reason, while I was using it, that I would reinstall windows. I decided to install Media Center XP 2005, so that I could play movies onto my Xbox 360. When I got to installing the OS, I had to re-do it a few times, because it kept randomly shutting off. I then tried to reinstall it once more and found that, this time, it would just stop at 52% while "setup is copying files" during the OS setup. I fell asleep and woke up this morning to find that it was still at 52% and hadn't moved since last night.

This morning I tried to reinstall it again, hoping it would go through all the way, but after 2 more tries, I was still having no success. So, I turned off my computer and pulled out the power cord for about 30 minutes and then put in the other 1 gb ram stick (which is supposed to be for my mom and has never been in a pc yet), but instead of freezing, like my ram stick did, I was actually about to try and reinstall the windows. So I went through the process for about the 10th time and when I got to that screen that says "setup is copying files" in the OS setup, it pops up with a blue screen that said something like "To prevent damage, please restart your computer, disable any system tools and use your anti-virus". So, I restarted my computer and because I currently didn't have an OS, I ignored the anti-virus and system tools, because it obviously doesn't apply to me. When the computer booted up again (I let it sit off for about 10 minutes), I went through the process of setup windows again and it didn't even make it to that "setup is copying files" screen, before that blue screen popped back up.

I don't know too much about my computer, besides that it has a Gigabyte GA-8TRS350MT motherboard and 512 MBs of ram (even though the computer only recognizes 490 MBs). I have 4 hard drives on my pc, ranging from 160 GBs - 20 GBs, as well as a DVD-RW and an ATI All-In-Wonder X 800 XL video card, which I installed the same day, that I tried to install that first memory chip, which gave me the bios freezing problem.

I'm not really sure what to do. This is all very frustrating, as I have put a lot of money and effort into keeping my computer updated and healthy and then this happens. If any of you guys could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

James

P.S. if you require any more information on my pc, I will do my best to find it out!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

About 2 months ago I bought 2, 1 GBs ram sticks, that I was going to put in both my computer and my moms.

Now first let me say that I worked at a computer store for a few months and I know the parts and how to put a computer together, but I'm definitely not a wiz.

Anyways, back on topic... When I installed my ram chip, my computer wouldn't boot up. It would go to the screen where you can access BIOS and it froze while doing the "memory test" and the keyboard stops responding as well. When I contacted the person who sold me the ram sticks, he told me that my PC needed "low-density" ram and these ram sticks were "high-density" and for $40 more he would replace them.

Fast forward to last night. I decided that after about a week or 2 of my computer randomly shutting off, for no reason, while I was using it, that I would reinstall windows. I decided to install Media Center XP 2005, so that I could play movies onto my Xbox 360. When I got to installing the OS, I had to re-do it a few times, because it kept randomly shutting off. I then tried to reinstall it once more and found that, this time, it would just stop at 52% while "setup is copying files" during the OS setup. I fell asleep and woke up this morning to find that it was still at 52% and hadn't moved since last night.

This morning I tried to reinstall it again, hoping it would go through all the way, but after 2 more tries, I was still having no success. So, I turned off my computer and pulled out the power cord for about 30 minutes and then put in the other 1 gb ram stick (which is supposed to be for my mom and has never been in a pc yet), but instead of freezing, like my ram stick did, I was actually about to try and reinstall the windows. So I went through the process for about the 10th time and when I got to that screen that says "setup is copying files" in the OS setup, it pops up with a blue screen that said something like "To prevent damage, please restart your computer, disable any system tools and use your anti-virus". So, I restarted my computer and because I currently didn't have an OS, I ignored the anti-virus and system tools, because it obviously doesn't apply to me. When the computer booted up again (I let it sit off for about 10 minutes), I went through the process of setup windows again and it didn't even make it to that "setup is copying files" screen, before that blue screen popped back up.

I don't know too much about my computer, besides that it has a Gigabyte GA-8TRS350MT motherboard and 512 MBs of ram (even though the computer only recognizes 490 MBs). I have 4 hard drives on my pc, ranging from 160 GBs - 20 GBs, as well as a DVD-RW and an ATI All-In-Wonder X 800 XL video card, which I installed the same day, that I tried to install that first memory chip, which gave me the bios freezing problem.

I'm not really sure what to do. This is all very frustrating, as I have put a lot of money and effort into keeping my computer updated and healthy and then this happens. If any of you guys could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

James

P.S. if you require any more information on my pc, I will do my best to find it out!

As your computer stops responding at 52% while installing windows , so i think that there is some problem in Windows Media Center XP 2005,some files may be corrupted of the CD,so you should try to install windows from other CD. You Can vey well use your 1GB RAM . Try to update your BIOS version and also change the setting of BIOS to Default.I Think That By Doing this Your problem would be resolved, if your problem is solved Please E-mail me yashwant_S@indiatimes.com.

with 4 hard drives your using a lot of power. Make sure your psu is can handle it. Also make sure your hard drive thet your trying to load windows onto is good.

unhook the unused drives until you get windows installed ,make sure you format the drive and start over with the install ,also you never did say if you put out the 40$ and bought the right ram!!

It is obvious that the problem is with memory timings.

I have found a formula to set the timings completly, and not just first 4.

Here it goes:
(this goes only if your BIOS have these settings for the memory)

First 5 settings the ones that are usualy on the label or box of the memory sticks:

Memory Index Value (MHz) = read the label
CAS# latency = Tcl
Min RAS# active time = Tras
RAS# to CAS# delay = Trcd
Row precharge Time = Trp

Row cycle time (Trc) = Tras + Trp
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) = Trc + 4
Read-to-Write time (Trwt) = 3 (more stable) or 2 (bit faster)
Write Recovery time (Twr) = 3 (more stable) or 2 (bit faster)
1T/2T Memory Timing = 2 (more stable) or 1 (bit faster)

S/W DRAM Over 4 G Remapping [disable]
H/W DRAM Over 4 G Remapping [disable]

This formula I've stubled on somwhere on the net. I can say that I had alot od trouble with my sicks, because BIOS reads only first 4 timings. Others, when on [auto] in my case were way off. My stability improved with this formula.

Last 2 settings set on [enable] only if you have 4 Gb of memory installed.

If this doesn't work for you, and the other hardware is in good shape, use the warranty for the memory, because the memory MUST work with these settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.