I have the utmost respect for Daniweb's policy of not condoning the piracy of software. Hear me out before you censor, please. However, these are your forums, your call, I'll respect the way you want to run things here. I honestly feel this person's post has been misunderstood.

Something weird has happened with his display and he's concerned that it's due to his OS being pirated. He could have just as easily thought it was a virus, someone hacking into his computer, Alien intervention, or whatever else he could have imagined causing it - it wasn't what he thought it was. Looking at the figures, people in their thousands, tens of thousands, have been coming here with problems that weren't what they thought it was.

If after a WGA test his version of XP is shown to be pirated, which personally I have doubts about, all he needs to do is follow the balanced methods Microsoft itself suggests under the subheading "What if my copy of Windows did not pass the validation check?"

He didn't seem to be asking for a pirated version of XP, or for help to pirate it. I suppose if we think about it for a moment, why pirate XP when there is the likes of W7 or W8 which are ever easier to pirate, if anyone was inclined to do so?

I hope I don't start an argument here, I'm just wondering if there may be a little relevant advice in even a small part of what I've explained here. It would be saddening if that youngster has needlessly gone off to buy another copy of XP.

I'm open to correction on anything I've said here.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I agree, the user is not asking for advice about pirated software, he's just got an issue with his screen - as already mentioned he must have used the key combination to turn the screen upside down. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, it's irrelevant whether his version of xp is pirated or not (but I think everybody in this forum appreciate the advice given to unistall a pirated copy and install a genuine one).

In the post...

I have unfortunately installed a fake copy of xp

We dont know if the user installed it knowingly and now asking for help to get around it, or figured it was pirated after the issue occured.

Either way, the appropriate response is to get a licensed copy, not try to figure out how to fix the display, in my opinion.

We dont know if the user installed it knowingly

True, we don't, but I guess we could give him the benefit of doubt, many people don't know what they're doing with their machines, and I think they shouldn't be penalised becasue of their ignorance.We've done what we should have which is, telling him to get rid of the pirated software and install a genuine copy and he doesn't seem one of those that goes on about supporting piracy, getting a pirate copy of this and that. I think it is safe to assume that the issue he's reporting doesn't have anything to do with his xp being pirated or not. That's just my opinion thought : - )

He can install Ubuntu or simlar free to use unix based OS. These days you do not have to be PC geek to install Unix, and besides they more and more look like hybrid between Windows and Mac OS user interface

I honestly feel this person's post has been misunderstood.

Helping someone who has openly admitted to piracy validates and enables piracy. Allowing threads on pirated software could potentially put Daniweb in a sticky legal position, so the appropriate response is to strongly suggest acquiring a legitimate copy of the software regardless of the problem.

Whether he mistakenly believes it's pirated or it's actually pirated doesn't matter. All that matters is the claim that the software is pirated.

I agree 101% with deceptikon on this one, not least as I think the answers given were helpful, polite and addressed the issue he had (the flipped screen).

There are two DaniWeb rules which might apply to any discussion involving pirated software, namely:

Do not ask about obtaining pirated software, nor link to it
Do not ask for help to pursue any illegal activity including, but not limited to, hacking and spamming

This particular post breached neither, which is why it remains intact. However, that does not mean that the community at large should not point out that using a pirated OS is Not A Good Thing.

i read the other thread ,and i see nothing wrong in the help that was offered so far to OP,for them to think microsoft filpped his desktop is nosence,at best he/she would get message down by the clock telling him/her that there windows software is pirated .and fix it by buing a legit copy ,wich is there best advice ,i don't microsoft is going to advise them to get Linux version

I have unfortunately installed a fake copy of xp and the microsoft co-operation has tracked it and the screen display has turned upside down any help please....how can you end this

Just taking a technical look at his comment for a moment...

He doesn't use the "P" word, and there is no such thing as a fake copy of XP.

Microsoft don't turn the display upside down of people who have p****** versions of XP, so up to now there is nothing wrong with his computer.

He says, "unfortunately", why? Is it because he regrets knowingly installing a p****** version of XP? Or, does he feel he has been cheated in some way? We can't draw a conclusion on this part of his comment because, as we can see by the grammar and spelling in his comment, written English is evidently not one of his strong points.

Technically and linguistically, there is nothing to say or show that his version of XP is p******. I think some other kids have pulled a prank on him, and it worked a treat. :-D

Going back quite a few years, when there were many more people who aren't as computer savvy as there are today, there were two 'terminals' (computers) sitting back to back. A guy switched the keyboard connectors between them so that when pretty 18 year old girl returned to her computer, she was amazed to see it writing wonderful messages to her, messages that she never thought possible from a computer. She was astounded at what questions it was able to answer, and ever more-so when it complimented her on herstyleof dress. :-)

Just taking a technical look at his comment for a moment...

I can only assume that you think everyone but you has misread the post and failed to take into account that particular interpretation. Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;)

@Peter Budo

He can install Ubuntu or simlar free to use unix based OS. These days you do not have to be PC geek to install Unix, and besides they more and more look like hybrid between Windows and Mac OS user interface

That's a good idea, if you don't mind my saying.

I'll PM him that advice if you don't mind, crediting you of course, as well as advice on how to check if his XP licence is genuine. But, please be assured that I won't use Daniweb's system for anything illicit.

Allowing threads on pirated software could potentially put Daniweb in a sticky legal position, so the appropriate response is to strongly suggest acquiring a legitimate copy of the software regardless of the problem

I can't disagree with that, in that being Daniweb a public forum of course we should encourage people to do the right thing nad not intalling pirated software, then everybody is free to do what they want, as long as they don't come here and openly say they support piracy. That said, I still believe that there are people there who could install a pirated copy of an os without knowing (an example: somebody has a problem and asks a friend to fix his computer and the 'friend' format his HD and install a fake copy of windows: now, who's fault is that?). So personally, although as said I can't disagree with deceptikon, I think we might be firm and helpful at the same time.

He doesn't use the "P" word, and there is no such thing as a fake copy of XP.

check the name of the other thread

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.