So I have an ISO of Windows 10 x64 and I'm attempting to install it on a brand new hard drive. I start by using PowerISO to mount the image to a virtual drive then install it onto VirtualBox using my product key and all is fine so I start the burn. I was told to burn at slowest possible speed so I did, Attached the new hard drive inserted the DVD-R windows 10 install pops up like normal and I start the install, after 9% into "extracting files" it stops and shuts off and I must restart the whole install again. I have tried with several DVDs but after using 4 and getting to the exact same point of 9% I think it might either be my PowerISO software or my actual burner. Any thoughts, fixes, or suggestions? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There are web articles about this but now that 10 is released I'd try it with articles after the release date. Why the DVD at all? Why PowerISO?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2015/04/02/step-by-step-installing-windows-10-on-oracle-virtualbox.aspx notes a method that uses the .ISO file. Try that method.

The brand new HDD would be prepared in the host OS as usual and some have written that dynamically allocated didn't work so use the other option.

Windows systems since version 7 have not played nice with virtual machines, especially VirtualBox. Why? I think it is because they want to write data, such as the system ID, to the system BIOS Flash memory chip, which is not avilable on most virtual machines. This is one of the reasons why I no longer run ANY Microsoft operating systems, even in virtual machines! The last I could run without problems in a Linux VM was XP... :-(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.