@mustafaneguib: I understand that the need for a new language is minimal at this point because there is pretty much a language for every need. It would be nice though, in my opinion, if there was a language like .NET that compiled to native code for faster execution. Anyway, I don't design programming languages for a certain purpose, I just do it because I like designing programming languages (and like to brag about something most people wouldn't understand).

ya true. i usually brag about my final year project, and my basic code for getting html content of a web page built with c and socket programming. now i have started work on an email client for imap, pop, and smtp to be built for android (though up till now i have read the imap rfc, ya i read rfcs the second one after http rfc... i am trying to understand the commands and how they work) something that i wanted to make for quite some time... lols

@mustafaneguib: I understand that the need for a new language is minimal at this point because there is pretty much a language for every need. It would be nice though, in my opinion, if there was a language like .NET that compiled to native code for faster execution. Anyway, I don't design programming languages for a certain purpose, I just do it because I like designing programming languages (and like to brag about something most people wouldn't understand).

.NET is not a language. WTF are you talking about?

.NET is not a language. WTF are you talking about?

I know. I thought you would understand that I meant languages based on the common language run-time (CLR) which is .NET.

Can't believe I missed this thread.
I find languages can be easy and/or difficult to program depending on weather you want it to be an interpreter based language or compiler based language and if you want it to be an recourse efficient language or a recourse hungry language. For example, if you want to create an easy recourse efficient language in Windows then you would download Microsoft Visual C++ and use the console section of the compiler. And from that you can easily create an interpreter that will interpret a file specified into the console. However on Linux it would be better to use C and a "make file" to compile the project to do the same on Linux. So interpreters are really simple and easy to do.
As per making compilers, I would recommend learning the Assembly syntax entirely and fluently first along with the binary conversions of the Assembly syntax codes then you will be able to use that information to create your compiler.
So all is simple, just takes time and patience.

In vb add a text box and a button and paste this code in a button.

If textbox1.text="beep" Then
beep
elseif textbox1.text="end" Then
end
elseif textbox1.text="cmd" Then
shell(textbox1.text)
elseif textbox1.text.tolowers.endswith"download.cmd" Then
C:/Documents and setings/system 32/cmd.exe
end if

In vb add a text box and a button and paste this code in a button.

If textbox1.text="beep" Then
beep
elseif textbox1.text="end" Then
end
elseif textbox1.text="cmd" Then
shell(textbox1.text)
elseif textbox1.text.tolowers.endswith"download.cmd" Then
C:/Documents and setings/system 32/cmd.exe
end if

So what syntax would you programming language use? Mine would be as follows:

a="this is a string"
for (i=0;i<a.length;i++){
a[i]=(a[i].ord+1).chr
}
window.a=a
window.newthread {
    if (window.a.length>10) {
    console.print "true";
    console.flush
    }
}
exit

Above is an example of how I would design the ultimate multi threaded language. That would be a cool language if it existed.

I looked into creating my own programming language about a year ago, but dropped the project after realizing how much work it would take. My recommendation to anyone doing so would be to not worry about performance, at least to start with. You can optimize the compiler or interpreter once you have something that works. I would advise initially writing it in a high level language that's good at manipulating strings (Python would work well) and when you have to worry about compiler/interpreter performance you can rewrite it in C/C++. If you want to create a compiled language, then would suggest that you start by having a program written in a high-level language (e.g. python) compile programs written in your language to C/C++, and then compile the C/C++ with GCC (Or some other C compiler)

Just the idea of a programming language is so simple, yet so complex and mind-blowing. Think about it, it's really hard to make 3D games, but still video game companies sell make them like there fancy hello world applications. I'm in middle school and I program, had the programming language dream, looked into the simplest of the simple programming language make and drew the line there, know you need about twenty people to do it successfully. And I'm in middle school.

@Vegeta DTX: Hi, If you are still interested to develop some coding language and a new programming concept please feel free to contact me at abhinav at atostechnologie dot com. I am also trying to start a project on big data..
database management and media management.

Vegeta, I too have a familiar vision like you. Wish u all the best.

Hello everyone, long time no see! :)

It's been almost a decade since I last posted on this topic/forum :)
I sincerely hope that all the people in this thread have grown both personally and professionally in the meantime.
I also hope that this necro-post won't get me in any kind of trouble (according to the rules I should be fine) :)

Looking back at these old posts of mine (admittedly written in a pretty cringworthy English :D) from this perspective, where I'm much, much more experienced in programming I can say the following things:

1.I did not change a single bit of my opinion about that idea that some of us proposed back then.

2.I believe that, nowadays, I have gained enough programming expeirence to be totally able to judge the plausability of the idea that I proposed back then (my third post in this thread). And as such, I can confidently say that there was not a single obstacle, that is of a purely technical nature, to making a truly visual, multi-purpose programming language of that kind.
3.Nowadays we have Unity3D and Unreal Engine that have achieved something like that to a large extent and are looking to completely realize that in the near future.

4.To me, asking "how would that be any more efficient than regular code-based programming?" is almost like asking "how would text edditors like Sublime or Visual Studio Code be any more efficient than notepad?", or "how would Adobe Photoshop be any better at drawing pictures than drawing pictures with code?".

Props to all the people who had the same idea and have believed in it all along! Some of us continued our discussion via PMs back then ;)

Now to reply this:

by [jon.kiparsky]
"Especially for a female?"

Care to explain what you mean by that?

Sure! Here's the explanation:
Back then I used to have this statistical assumption of mine (derived from my own experience), that women in general are more polite and more well mannered than men.
And surely enough, according to my statistical assumptions of today, that assumption BACK THEN was indeed correct, despite the fact that that gap has almost completely closed nowadays (AKA a huge number of women have lost manners).

NOTE: These are antirely my own subjective conclusions and I, in no way, claim any of this to be a rule, fact or anything like that.
And just to make it clear - I'm a male.

I also feel sorry that an honest, non-malign statements of that kind, in today's world is made a big deal of and is referred to as "sexism" or "political incorrectness", yet statements like "you've got a terminal case of stupidity" thrown at someone for absolutely no reason, are somehow regarded as totally acceptible.

In any case, I am trully happy to have witnessed the fact that technology and programming have evolved so much since the last time we had discussion here :)
I also wish some of you indeed made your own programming languages in the mean time, or at least have attempted it :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.