Greetings.

First of all, I hope I got the correct forum. ;)

My final semester is approaching soon :sad: and I've got to do a final year project by then. I'd like to propose my own title to my supervisor but I do not have any ideas as yet.

Well, I'd like to do some desktop apps. because I'm less interested in developing an Internet application, something that is more education oriented (or a little bit of A.I.), that could help people. In short, I'd like to develop an application that will be of use and importance to people (students). Previous seniors have developed a Turing Machine application. The application now is used by us, juniors, to assist in our learning process. Other softwares that has already been done by the seniors include, a wireless restaurant system -> this is pretty cool plus a 3G mobile application with the ability to map your way out of traffic congestion & etc. The reason I mentioned those above was to give fellow people a hint on how significant must an FYP be in my uni.

Oh yea, I major in Information System Engineering, I'm not sure if you guys need this information or not. ;)
:?: Hope to receive some suggestions from you all. Thanks a lot.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

How about a different desktop shell, with options with one click of a mouse button. Or reminder notes? Or looking for something more thrilling/advanced?

Hello,

This may be way-overboard, but I would love to see a virtual environment of a router-network.

Have a program that when launched sets up an environment. Use a couple shapes for routers, and have abilities to program in IP numbers and perhaps other protocols. Have it accept the subnet masks and other things... awareness of ports.

Use this environment to prototype network installations, and program Cisco routers. Have it visual to show if traffic flows between the networks or not. Be able to close ports and change subnets, and see if the traffic stops, or changes directions. Have it detect if there are loops in the network.

This is a way advanced program thing, but it would be quite helpful, and would be a long project that you could do something with. I would have it work on Linux, so that you can reach a lot of people with little OS cost.

Christian

Create an application for mobile devices for students who carry PDA phones that allows the college staff to send FEES structure and other such information to all the students . You could use GoDB the tool for creating mobile applications and the sync server to send FEES and arrears information or EXAM dates. The application can be built by you using this tool in no time. ;). So you will have a cool tool that can be used by not only your juniours but also the college staff.

GOOD LUCK.

Greetings.

From Yzk:-

How about a different desktop shell, with options with one click of a mouse button. Or reminder notes? Or looking for something more thrilling/advanced?

This sounds cool. Could you please elaborate further on it?

To kc0arf,
Wow! Sigh..... I guess I can never come out with such a program. I have always been a left-out in the networking area. Thanks a lot for your amazing idea. Maybe someone else who's reading the post can grab some new ideas from kc0arf's post?

To smitakiran,
Your idea seems to be closely related to the student-teacher environment.
Thanks a lot! It's definitely going to be considered.

Any more ideas from the fellow techies? ;)

What I wanted to suggest requires a lot of programming (but what program doesn't?). What I would like to have is a better easy-to-use database program for management classes or a robotics program for robotical arms movements.

Greetings.
Okay. Thanks a lot.
To smitakiran:-
I did a search on google for goDB. I came across this website:http://www.consigntech.com/20.htm
I could not still understand what actually is goDB. A developing tool? or...?
Please advise.

Greetings.
Okay. Thanks a lot.
To smitakiran:-
I did a search on google for goDB. I came across this website:http://www.consigntech.com/20.htm
I could not still understand what actually is goDB. A developing tool? or...?
Please advise.

Yes , GoDb is a Tool for creating Mobile Applications. It is similar to VB in its look and feel, but the applications you create in it run on PDAs ranging from PALMTOP, POCKET PC, NOKIA , LAPTOPS and PCs . To find out about the kind of applications you can create in GoDB you can go to

You can get more information about the sync server and GoDB form the Flash Demo on : page.
The sync server comes bundeled with GoDB and allows you to update the information on the Mobile Devices when the information on the server changes. You can download the evaluation copy and go through the tutorial .

ALL THE VERY BEST

commented: Thanks a lot for the information! +2

Greetings.
Thanks a lot for the information.
I see that there is an evaluation copy of goDB available for download.
Do you by any chance know how much does it cost to get a licensed copy of goDB?
Thanks.

Greetings.
Thanks a lot for the information.
I see that there is an evaluation copy of goDB available for download.
Do you by any chance know how much does it cost to get a licensed copy of goDB?
Thanks.

Its FREE for non commercial purposes.

Its FREE for non commercial purposes. Hope you are successful in buliding a good solution.

Smita

]ghjhgjghjgjghjgjhgjhgjgjgjgjghgh

Greetings.
Alright. Thanks a lot for the information. ;)

Greetings.
I've recently discussed with my college mates and we roughly came up with an idea to develop an online music portal.
We love music a lot and have some knowledge in music. This portal would be deemed at 2 levels: professional composers & young composers.

Initially, we thought of developing this portal because we know of a tough job when composing songs while playing them on an organ, which is to -> write the scores out on a piece of manuscript.

So, the initial idea was to look for a software which does this. Users would be able to upload the song that they have composed in midi format & the scores would be generated for them.

Fortunately, I have found this software and I am stuck at how to put it at the backend server?

I mean how do I do things like getting the midi file that has been uploaded to be opened by the software.

What I wanted to know is how do you connect your webpage to that software? Is batch files the clue? :?:

Hi eveyone,
How about creating something practical like a win32 compiler that does not require any microsoft's dll's or activex controls thus making your final end .exe programs self-contained and independent of the windows operating system. this is quite a feat but if you succeed you will probably create history

Here' s to creating history

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Greetings.
Wow, that's cool. Not sure whether I am capable enough to produce that or not.
Anyway, refering to my previous post, I have not got any clue on that yet.
Plus, another question is that, if I was to develop the application using Java applet, is it wise to embed it into a webpage?
I mean, with the size of the application, plus all the factors like Internet speed for different users....etc.
Right now, I'm confused whether to develop a stand-alone application or a web application. FYI, I have to use Java -> JMF.

Previous seniors have developed a Turing Machine application. The application now is used by us, juniors, to assist in our learning process.

The following applications could be used as well:

1. C++ Simulator of a Turing Machine (TM).
The program simulates Deterministic and Nondeterministic Multitape TM.
http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/turing.html

2. C++ Simulator of a Universal Turing Machine.
http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/utm.html

3. C++ Simulator of a Post Machine (PM).
The program simulates Nondeterministic/Deterministic Multitape PM.
http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/post-m.html

4. Turing Machine with faults, failures and recovery
http://alexvn.freeservers.com/s1/turing-s.html

Also http://sourceforge.net/projects/turing-machine/

Hello,

This may be way-overboard, but I would love to see a virtual environment of a router-network.

Have a program that when launched sets up an environment. Use a couple shapes for routers, and have abilities to program in IP numbers and perhaps other protocols. Have it accept the subnet masks and other things... awareness of ports.

Use this environment to prototype network installations, and program Cisco routers. Have it visual to show if traffic flows between the networks or not. Be able to close ports and change subnets, and see if the traffic stops, or changes directions. Have it detect if there are loops in the network.

This is a way advanced program thing, but it would be quite helpful, and would be a long project that you could do something with. I would have it work on Linux, so that you can reach a lot of people with little OS cost.

Christian

Hi.. i've been looking for an idea for a project for my graduation and this simulating idea is so impressive..can you tell me more about how can i achieve the goals from this project? what tools to use and programming languages and how if any?
thanks for the wonderful idea
regards

hi! ( kinda new to this)

im doing computing as a degree and the third year is approaching and i thought this idea ofa router-network simulation EXCELLANT!! but how can one indvidual/student possibly create something better than those cisco certified engineers and with all their funding??

so just wondering if there is a small aspect i could address in realtion to this idea?? im really interested in this,thank u and really appreciate this great idea!

hi :) i found this idea veery interesting...i need to produce a fina lyear project and thought this would be a great idea....however....no individual can create anything better than the cisco engineers with their millions of dollars....so instead of creating a router-network visual environment, would u able to suggest anything along these lines but maybe more specific to something?.....i just cant think of any ideas : (

i would soo appreciate anyone who can suggest anything to me : )

thank u guys : ) x

Create an application for mobile devices for students who carry PDA phones that allows the college staff to send FEES structure and other such information to all the students . You could use GoDB the tool for creating mobile applications and the sync server to send FEES and arrears information or EXAM dates. The application can be built by you using this tool in no time. ;). So you will have a cool tool that can be used by not only your juniours but also the college staff.

GOOD LUCK.

hey im interested in this idea, it sounds great. But not to sure what you program in, sorry for being a pain but can you please let me know.

kc0arf

That sounds like a cool idea.... would it imitate a network and algorithms or would it be a number of emulators like bochs or vmware, that you could install applications on that actually runs like a network?

GOOD LUCK.

Please tell me more on GoDB and Sync server. am intending on proposing this as my final year project next week. am studying Computer Science at University of Botswana

Hello Everybody,

I'm new at DaniWeb and i'm here to ask for opinions and gather suggestions about my final year project. I am a to-be software engineer, interested in artificial intelligence, particularly planning, and want to make a real-life planning system to benefit the world and the environment in particular. For example, optimizing industrial/factory processes such that they produce minimal wastes.

Your ideas, suggestions, advices and response are much awaited and appreciated.

Thank you.

Well, you could develop an artificial intelligence program that suggests final year projects for students. We get posts like this all the time and our little environment would certainly benefit from your system :P

well i would like to thank all the people here your info proved beneficial to me

HI FRDS!!!!!!!
I HOPE DAT I GOT D USEFUL SITE!!
THANKS FOR UR VALUABLE INFORMATION...I SUGGEST U 2 USE SOME WEB APPLETS IN UR PROJECT WHICH WIL HAVE D BETTER GUI ....NOW AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME..WILL SEND MY OPINIONS LATER..PLZ DONT MIND.

commented: Worst post of the month award. And it's only the first of July... -4
commented: Go away until you learn how to use a keyboard. -7
commented: GO AWAY SPMMER, AND KEEP UR USELSS COMMNTS FOR URSELF!!!!! -2

commented: Nice picture :) +36
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.