i want to write a latin translator because most translators online dont do it very well plus i have to translate like 3 chapters of cicero a week at boston latin school. So i need some advice on what language i should would be best for this and advice on how to start would be nice as well but you dont need to tell me that.

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by 1o0oBhP

Just my personal opinoin but I would use whatever language you're most comfortable with.

Once it's compiled, makes no difference to the PC what language you chose.

I don't know much about latin, but is it basically a 1 to 1 relationship? or more like a phrase to word relationship?

Either way, I'd use a SQL backend with a table that has either the english(word/phrase) or latin(word/phrase) as the identity column, and index it for fast string searching when replacing text with the translation. Could possibly make use of the SQL LIKE command. I don't do much with flat file databases so maybe you know of a good algorithm to use that's fast rather than wasting code/processor on a SQL connection.

Just an idea.... hope you get some more.

yeah i decided to go with c++ because it is a very dynamic programming language and i need to know how to program in c++. Do you have any idea on how to start a program like this i tried to find a translator that was open source but couldn't so i need to start from the ground up.

I would recommend VB as IMHO working with strings is easier and GUIs are MUCH easier to code. C++ can be done, VC++ better, but it will take some time to manipulate strings

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.