Hello.

I am thinking of implementing Tomasulo's algorithm in a CPU that doesn't have one, as a thesis for my M.Sc.. My professor likes it, he said that he wanted one too for a CPU.

I would love to do it, the only problem is that I am afraid that I won't make it. I mean, I know I will do the design but I am not sure if I can implement it correctly until October. Perhaps bugs will keep occuring and I know I am not that good. I also know that no matter how many test I can do, there is always the possibility for more bugs.

Anyone has similiar experience implementing Tomasulo's algorithm in a CPU? You believe that it's doable within 6-8 months?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Tomasulo is a hardware thing isn't it?

I don't think it's something you can retro-fit to any existing processor.

Unless you're contemplating say modifying a compiler to simulate the effect. But modern optimising compilers already perform instruction scheduling and other things.

> I would love to do it, the only problem is that I am afraid that I won't make it.
Most of the marks should be for the journey, not the destination. Your progress and final writeup should show what you did, what to avoid and what needs to be done.
Talk to your professor.

> I also know that no matter how many test I can do, there is always the possibility for more bugs.
Welcome to the real world. Pretty much all software of any complexity at all has bugs in it.

Yes it is a hardware thing, it is out-of-order execution of instructions, if you do some modification, it can have a reordering buffer and then it has nice interrupt and exeption handling.

I don't think it's something you can retro-fit to any existing processor.

Indeed, it cannot be done in any processor but the CPU that my professor has in mind can accept that, with some modifications of course.

Most of the marks should be for the journey, not the destination. Your progress and final writeup should show what you did, what to avoid and what needs to be done.
Talk to your professor.

You are obviously correct here. I just don't know if my professor will see it that way.

Welcome to the real world. Pretty much all software of any complexity at all has bugs in it.

LOL Thanks man, I am an embedded software developer for about 5 years now, I know about bugs.

You are right, I 'll talk to my professor.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.