I am working on a currency conversion program and I am stuck on listing the application level requirements...any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

what do you have thus far?
Best thing you can do is talk to your users, ask them what they do right now and how they expect the new application to do it for them.

I'd be willing to bet the original poster of this thread was searching for the same answer I am. This is an assignment in a programming class. I'm not sure what application level requirements means??? Can anyone clarify this?

yes, your teacher and the books and other course material he gave you or told you to buy to study.

Well, I must say I am very impressed by the quality and the helpfulness available on this website for people just beginning to learn in the IT field. Thanks so much for your answer.

commented: Don't confuse "help" with "spoon-feeding". -4

There's a lot of information, but we're NOT here to do your homework for you which is what you seem to be looking for.

You know how the word word assume breaks down don't you? Don't make assumptions about someone you know nothing about. I have never asked anyone to do ANYTHING for me.

I asked a simple question; define what application level requirements was referring to. I searched all my text chapters and could not find that exact term. Being new to this and very unfamiliar with the terminology I was not sure what my instructor wanted. Nowhere in my text is the exact term application level requirements used. So I did the best I could to try to find out for myself.

Under the circumstances of attending an online class for working adults, having two jobs and being the primary care giver of a 3 year old child; I was working on this late at night and didn't have the option of getting clarification from my instructor in time to post my assignment on time.

I googled the term and this website came up in the results. When I read the original thread it seemed that you did not understand the question so I attempted to clarify. Apparently, you are so cynical and full of yourself I wasted my time attempting to explain something to someone who thinks they know it all.

Not that I expect to make any difference to you but just for my own satisfaction;

I am 3/4 of the way through my associate's degree program and have a 3.8 GPA. I currently have 100% in my core class for IT and I have never had anyone help me with any of my homework, let alone do it for me. I received an A on the application-level requirements assignment. I just guessed at what he meant. Thank God, I happened to be right.

Have a nice day!

Hello Grayduchess, I'm also new to this too. I have the same assignment and understand how you feel.

Keep your head up! Good Luck!

Thanks Coco. Good luck to you too. I just went with psuedocode; name, amount, etc in the Input/proces/output.

The terminology that is like reading a foreign language right now is intimidating lol

In real life application level requirements are just an overview of the functionality the program needs to implement. What it does. Sometimes what it doesn't do. How the users should interact with it. They should be specific, but generally they don't include (pseudo)code.

I also need help with this.

ziggtit

Did you receive any pointers for this
assignment? I am lost.

Deana

poop

Application-Level Requirements 

1.	Get user input – Currency Types, International Value, US Value Selection
2.	Welcome to ”International Currency Conversion Program”
3.	This program computes international currency values by input of valid US Value 
4.	Input US value selection
5.	Find international value (rates)
6.	Calculate and convert currency conversion
7.	Display currency conversion results

Ziggtit

·         List the application-level requirements for the Currency Conversion project. (more elaboration was needed).
·         Use a structured programming approach to generate an Input-Process-Output chart for the application
·         Generate the hierarchy chart for the application.

Points earned: 80/90

Thank you very much for your effort.
P.S.

W2 Assignment: Application-Level Requirements

Answer may include:
Requirements
Problem: Currency Conversion
Description: The Currency Conversion application is a menu-driven program that allows users to select one of five international currency types, input the amount of a foreign currency, and then convert the foreign currency to dollars. The program displays the equivalent dollar amount and returns the user to the menu until he or she enters another conversion or quits the program.
International currency type (menu selection)
·         Canadian dollars     (rate: 1 U.S. dollar = 1.4680 Canadian dollars)
·         Mexican pesos        (rate: 1 U.S. dollar = 9.5085 pesos)
·         English pounds       (rate: 1.6433 U.S. dollars = 1 pound)
·         Japanese yen          (rate: 1 U.S. dollar = 104.9200 yen)
·         French francs          (rate: 1 U.S. dollar =  6.2561 francs)
Application-Level Requirements List
1.     The program shall present a series of user screens that prompts the user for specified input.
2.     The main user screen shall have an application title.
3.     The main user screen shall have a short description telling the user how to use the program.
4.     The calculation of the currency shall be executed only after all the valid input values are provided.
5.     The program shall allow the user to clear all input fields and recomplete the calculation.

nput-Process-Output Chart
Input
Process
Output
Name:
Type:
Range:

Display Menu
Name:
Type:
Range:
Currency Type
Integer
1-6

Name:
Type:
Range:
International Value
Real
0-1,000,000

Get Foreign Value
Name:
Type:
Range:
International Value
Real
0-1,000,000

Name:
Type:
Range:

Name:
Type:
Range:

International Value
Real
0-1,000,000

Currency Type
Integer
1-6

Convert Currency
Name:
Type:
Range:
US Value
Real
> 0
Name:
Type:
Range:

Name:
Type:
Range:

Name:
Type:
Range:

Currency Type
Integer
1-6

International Value
Real
0-1,000,000

US Value
Real
> 0
Display Results
Name:
Type:
Range:

Name:
Type:
Range:

Name:
Type:
Range:
Currency Type
Integer
1-6

International Value
Real
0-1,000,000

US Value
Real
> 0

Hierarchy Chart

[img src="@19472332"] 

Main Module
Display Menu Get Foreign value Convert Currence Display results

I am afraid that if I don't post to this, the information contained in the thread will be lost. Why is that a bad thing? Because I, also, am halfway through an associate's in IT and, (presumably) like Kristy48 and Grayduchess, I find the terms associated with my assignment to be poorly defined. BlazingUnicorn's post sums it up nicely, while possibly being too informative; now that I know HOW application-level requirements should be written, I can go write my own. Thank you Kristy48, Grayduchess, BlazingUnicorn, and anyone else who kept this going as long as it has been.
With the exception of JWenting. You, sir, should work for an inner-city public school system. I think your informative style would fit in well there.

I am afraid that if I don't post to this, the information contained in the thread will be lost.

Why would you think that? It's been here for 6 years so far. And a simple web search turns up thousands of pages that tell you what you want to know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.