Hi all,

Welcome to Study Group 13 (SG13) ^_^

We are a group of people – mostly students – who are self-learners. We share the study materials (obviously online materials), help each other in debugging our codes, and give advice regarding programming or studying problems.

Q&A:

Q: What programming languages will be studied?
A: PHP and MYSQL. C++ can be added if some members are interested.

Q: Will we study all of them?
A: No, you pick the language(s) you want to learn.

Q: How will we study?
A: To make the answer organized, I’ll divide it into steps:

1) Pick the language(s) that you want to learn and the language(s) you can help others with – help them in debugging

2) Specify your current level in the programming language(s) you want to learn or help others with:
a. Starter: I’m a new user of this language
b. Beginner: I can write/ deal with simple to average functions, classes, etc.. and can create small projects
c. Intermediate: I can write/ deal with complicated functions, classes, etc.. and can create big projects.
d. Advanced: This language is like drinking water for me.

3) Mention the resources you’ll use in your studies; this will benefit the group and Daniweb members. Although “offline” materials, such as textbooks, can’t be shared, however, sharing the textbook’s (title + a brief opinion about it) will be useful. Maybe there is someone who is thinking of buying one.

4) Set a table for your studying. You don’t have to post your table in the forum

5) Start studying using any studying method you feel comfortable with

6) If you face any troubles with your code/ study, post a new thread in the correct place with a title: “SG13_ name your problem”. For example, you have a problem in a PHP code. Post your problem in Web Development > PHP. One of SG13 members who have experience with PHP or is studying it may respond to you. If no one of SG13 know the answer, hopefully any member in Daniweb will be willing to help.

7) You stop studying when you reach the level you want in the language. For example, if you’re a beginner in MYSQL and become an intermediate, you can stop or continue; it depends on what you want.

General Notes:

1) Daniweb rules definitely apply to us
2) Any member of Daniweb is welcome help us since, as I mentioned before, most of us are students
3) I think we must help non-SG13 members too. Debugging other people’s codes expands your way of thinking – that’s just a personal opinion =)

Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Hi,
I was looking more towards learning and thus interacting regarding JAVA. Currently, I am working towards it. While I can follow the group on PHP and MySQL, my current interests are in JAVA. Any body interested in JAVA?
Thanks
Raghu

Member Avatar for b1izzard

@Ndoom: " If you face any troubles with your code/ study, post a new thread"
We already doing it thats why We are in The Daniweb.

My personal Opinion for Group learning is Google groups or an alternative. Google Groups mainly lacks in the "Formatting the Programming code" I am searching for an alternative.

here is the group I had created http://groups.google.co.in/group/coderswithoutborders
It's just a newly created one and Here we have professionals and students like me, Currently I am working on RUBY so I posted my thread with the Heading "Ruby" in the group, same way you can post a thread there with appropriate title name.

@ raghu: I've done Java 2 years ago, but I have to refresh my memory about it because I'll need some of it's concepts for the coming semester. I'll be there to help as much as I can. If I was late in replying on your thread, send me a private message with the link of your thread.

@ ravi: I wanted the group to be an effective group in Daniweb. However, your suggestion sounds better =).. mmm.. just to make sure that I got it.. we study on our own and discuss everything on Google groups (or an alternative place) and post any questions here, right?

@that's right :)

In my opinion, to start a successful study group, you will need proper guideline, monitoring your members, and having fun together. You need make them feel being paid attention on and belong to the group. Setting up your study group in other people forum limits flexibility in building that atmosphere.

Anyway, I can offer my help with C/C++ if you need any. I know some VB6 and VB.NET as well.

@invisal : Well said :)

@invisal: Thanks for your suggestion and for joining us ^_^

So, I'll post our guidelines tomorrow and find a way to monitor.

Your so initiative =) .. I'm sure someone will need your help.

There are several things that you need to have.

1. Everyone need to post their study report weekly. A short brief description.

For example:

This week, I have learnt about loop. 
    It was not hard to understand, but 
    I seem to have problem with nested loop.

You will need your own forum to do so.

2. Everyone will need a place to have fun chit chat with each other. You will need your own forum to do so as well.
  3. Maybe you can have a research group. They are responsible in finding interesting stuff and share among the members.
  4. Provide various of programming exercises.

If you have trouble in making your own forum, contact me. I will glad to help you.

I guess some members are wondering what happened with SG13..

well, invisal helped me in making a forum and we have started (Actually, it's his forum ;P)..

I'd like to thank raghu for being interested in the group, and ravi89 & invisal for being initiative and supportive..

I hope we all learn what we like effectively & quickly.. days run like a speedy river and there's still much to be learned..

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/group51.html

Waiting for ya! ^_^

http://www.visal.in/ looks nice.(You should have embedded the address as a link ). Soon be there :)

I was kind of afraid of Daniweb Mods =D

but thanks ravi.. I can't wait to see you there!! *jumps eagerly*

Hi,
I was looking more towards learning and thus interacting regarding JAVA. Currently, I am working towards it. While I can follow the group on PHP and MySQL, my current interests are in JAVA. Any body interested in JAVA?
Thanks
Raghu

im interested in java. i just became a member of daniveb and to ur group

Hi,
Thanks
Raghu

i just became a member of daniweb and your group. yes im interested in java

Welcome coroll =)

Thanks for joining us!.. it's better to register in http://www.visal.in/ too because we'll be mostly there.. I'll be happy to help you with Java.

huh i'm sooo confused?? is this group on danieweb or is it a separate thing? i joined on the groups thing, do i just post on visal? and is that a separate site or am i missing something?

help

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't been around. I am interested in furthering my PHP knowledge, I am already an intermediate-advanced PHP programmer and can def offer a hand with with help. Let me know what you all think!

/\/\ongoose

Hey popin and Mongo!

Nice to meet ya ^_^

huh i'm sooo confused?? is this group on danieweb or is it a separate thing? i joined on the groups thing, do i just post on visal? and is that a separate site or am i missing something?

It's a group on Daniweb but we work on a separate forum. This is because working on another forum facilitates a lot of stuff.. especially keeping posts organized and sending messages >_<"
Plus, we can have a place to meet, chat, and have fun!

@Mongo: it's OK.. well, I think I'll need your help because I have to learn PHP for my graduation project.. maybe I have to call you Sensei (teacher) Mongo from now on!! ;)

Note: I still prefer that people join the group on Daniweb, so we can track how many people joined us via Daniweb..

humm was going to ask a question on the visal forum but theres no topic in the Q&A section (which is in a admin defined are btw not sure regular members will be able to post even after you add a FAQ and queries topic), then thought of making a 'how's the forum coming along post in chit chat (kinda a on the fly bugs and suggestions/comments if you like) but i can't post anywhere

so err my question will have to go here i suppose asides from the things ive pointed out above i was originally going to post to ask if a PHP HTML C# maybe a python and Basic/VB area('s) could be created + maybe a other languages bit?

I'm looking for starter material (api system software needs etc) for the other languages (as Im learning a bunch myself /meant to be) if you need help moderating the new forum let me know ive done it a little bit in the past.

>_<" Oopss!!

I'll try to fix it now, but I'll add you as a moderator to help me out.. yeah, it's my first time to admin a forum ^^

Other languages can be created if there are people who are interested.. I'll try to add more, and you can add too, but we have to remember keeping stuff organized and manageable..

check visal.in after a few minutes, Mr. Moderator ;)

lol nw's my first admin account was on a friends site and i was no help at all i basically filled in as a very prepy mod (postting uploading content bugging the site owner about bugs etc) i'l do my best. ^_^

I would like to learn C++, I'm a starter, I don't know any codes or functions. Hopefully I'll master it.

I would like to learn C++, I'm a starter, I don't know any codes or functions. Hopefully I'll master it.

You can join us, Donya.. Yes, Daniweb is a very good place to learn, but our group provides a more coherent & collaborative environment, especially for beginners..

Check our forum:
http://visal.in

popin did an excellent job there! Thanks popin ^_^
We're waiting for more members to join =)

Great! *high five*

^ Is it kosher to solicit members for a different forum on Daniweb? I am simply curious; I am tempted to report this thread in good faith.

Additionally, what precisely does this have to do with "computer science"? I do not necessarily mean to question the value of this line of discussion, and certainly a learning community is a good thing to have, but why advertise here? If you want to help people learn Java, the Java subforum is much more popular than this one; also, the PHP subforum is much more popular. I fail to see how this is an appropriate forum.

^ Is it kosher to solicit members for a different forum on Daniweb? I am simply curious; I am tempted to report this thread in good faith.

Additionally, what precisely does this have to do with "computer science"? I do not necessarily mean to question the value of this line of discussion, and certainly a learning community is a good thing to have, but why advertise here? If you want to help people learn Java, the Java subforum is much more popular than this one; also, the PHP subforum is much more popular. I fail to see how this is an appropriate forum.

errr.. well, as I understood from the rules, there is nothing about mentioning other forums, but I hesitated in the beginning mentioning our forum's name.. anyway, I'm not advertising - at least that wasn't and isn't my intention! =)

I just need the group members to imagine how would I feel if I received 6 or 7 messages asking the same question about the group.. what a waste of time! :S )

In addition, members can't send more that 5 messages at a time. You can imagine how difficult that would be if I want to announce or update something for the group.

Meeting on Daniweb sounded easy, but by time, I realized that it's hard to do that on a very huge community forum, plus, the way it's organized doesn't support the groups needs. Maybe that's why programming fan groups and the other social groups don't look effective.

To sum up, if we can have a specific place on Daniweb that facilitates our meetings and matches our organizational needs (and of course Daniweb members who are not in the group can lurk there ^_^), I have no problems.. and hopefully the other members won't have problems too..

I know, I talk a lot :P

Thanks for your comment :)

No problem, just trying to help. Like I said, while I believe you might do better elsewhere, I applaud what you're doing and don't have any fundamental problem with it. All the best...

In my opinion, to start a successful study group, you will need proper guideline, monitoring your members, and having fun together. You need make them feel being paid attention on and belong to the group. Setting up your study group in other people forum limits flexibility in building that atmosphere.

Anyway, I can offer my help with C/C++ if you need any. I know some VB6 and VB.NET as well.

Hi,
To all of My friends starting from Ndoom, Ravi,Raghu and Invisal ......
My Self My name Anaz ,a graduate in Computer Science but still a student in the world of
programing :;,,,
like to share what i know and eager to learn the new techniques which u guys can share with me.. no not to me but to our team.....

Invisal mentioned that .....
expert in c,c++, vb,vb.net

ok then my side.......
i also having little knowledge in following
Vb.net
Asp.net
in backend side Sql SERVER
little knowledge in Ajax and Jquery too...

humm the visal.in site doesn't seem to be there anymore im not sure what happened but my browser can't find it. (i think i got it at one point last night) if i get it again il grab all the content off it for safekeeping, sorry i neglected it a bit very busy few weeks but let me know whats happening

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.