hello people of DaniWeb! This is my first post.I gotta tell you that my head is going crazy lately.I am 18. So what's the case? Alright last year I gave some really really really hard exams in my country Greece.I suceeded. I got into the university at the Department of Mechanical Engineering.But, things are not as I expected them.I want to do programming.More programming than mechatronics or plain fortran 90/95 we do at university. I want to learn programming.All i have done up to know is a simpler version of pascal, fortran ,which I do know well and I like it but it seems it is useless, and only a few html.I want a programming language that i will learn very well so that I will be able to work a bit on the internet as a freelancer and do some projects for my own at free time which is generally a lot.About 5 hours a day.I have googled over a hundred times but I cant the right programming language.I have read about php,html,html5,Java and objective-c.I want a language that can do it all.I want to do android and iOS applications,web design-developing or even browser games.Also i would like one that it is modern and is not going to die in the next few years.I know that all the above desires are difficult to find in one language but which one combines most of them? I like the idea of html5. What do you think about it? Any suggestions?

[PS: I dont know if this is the right place to post my thread.Guys I am a bit desperate lately.Sorry if my english is bad.]

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I want a language that can do it all

Since you already had an experience using fortran try c/c++

Also i would like one that it is modern and is not going to die in the next few years

check this link Programming language list

Learn ASP.NET using C#

ASP.NET is quit tough but it is used all over the world for making desktop and web related applications...:)

guys and girls,I need you to explain to me some things! I dont know anything for the above languages and google doesn't help much. What do you believe for html5?

sorry if I am asking for a lot.I need help

html is not a programming language. I support Java but that doesn't mean other languages like c# are not capable which Java is capable of.
Choosing a programming language also depends on an individual, his/her interest etc.
Some people also have a view that learning multiple programming languages instead of one is also beneficial.

guys and girls,I need you to explain to me some things! I dont know anything for the above languages and google doesn't help much. What do you believe for html5?

sorry if I am asking for a lot.I need help

There's always Google to help you out on the search for a programming language that suits you and here's a few definition for them that I found... note that these are not as is.

C is a structured, procedural programming language that has been widely used both for operating systems and applications and that has had a wide following in the academic community. Many versions of UNIX-based operating systems are written in C. C has been standardized as part of the Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX).

With the increasing popularity of object-oriented programming, C is being rapidly replaced as "the" programming language by C++, a superset of the C language that uses an entirely different set of programming concepts, and by Java, a language similar to but simpler than C++, that was designed for use in distributed networks.

I want a programming language that i will learn very well so that I will be able to work a bit on the internet as a freelancer and do some projects for my own at free time which is generally a lot.About 5 hours a day.

Any language that is commonly used and can be learned relatively quickly would be appropriate. So learn Python and Java. It's important to learn a variety of decent languages. Generally speaking, in the world known as the "real" world, you'll encounter situations where you have to learn and use another language. For example, if you need do any web development, well gee, you'll have to learn Javascript. And HTML, which isn't a programming language. And you'll have to learn stuff about HTTP, a protocol.

I have googled over a hundred times but I cant the right programming language.I have read about php,html,html5,Java and objective-c.I want a language that can do it all.

There is no "right programming language" There is no language that can "do it all." When I wanted to write iPhone applications I used Objective-C. If I wanted to write an Android application, I'd use Java. When I wanted to write some quick throw-it-together script I used Perl. When I wanted to write a web application and didn't know any better, I used PHP. Now I'd use Python, and of course, Javascript for the front-end. Or Coffeescript. When I want to write other kinds of programs, I'll use Python or C++ or Java but it depends upon my needs.

Most web based projects use either PHP, which can link easily to MySQL, the commonest database used in web development, or ASP. More recently Ruby, of which I have no experience at all, is also being used.

HMTL is a way to mark up your web page content, not a programming language. You can't program in HTML any more than you can program in Greek - neither are that sort of language. HTML5 is still being invented, so to speak, and browsers will always be able to read html4. There is little point in trying to learn html5 when it hasn't been written yet, just a few small sections have been worked on and the rest is suggestions and opinions.

Javascript is used for interactions on the web page, and like PHP has some similarities to C. Once you have learned one language, learning a second one is usually much more straightforward.

From your age, it is obvious you are a little first year student, one term into your course. Give it time!!! Don't rush at things full pelt, expecting there to be one magic language that is perfect for everything. PHP for example does not run from the desktop (well you cam force it to do that, but it's not normal and looses some of it's normal abilities, and you need to use other software to force it to work as well.)

Personal choice comes into things as well. I don't like object orientated programming for example, as it is total overkill for the straightforward projects I do. I was rather good at OO at uni, I just didn't like it.

And the post before this one says some important things too.

Spend a month with any modern language.
After a while, one will stick out as being more intuitive than others.
I use C#, but came to that through Basic, Pascal, C, 80x86, VBA, C++, Perl and Ruby.

I'd have to agree with the others here.
There is no language that will do it all, and there is a major benefit to learning multiple languages. I have a VERY hard time deciding on a language to use for projects, I just need to use whichever is best for the job. So, again, my suggestion, for what it's worth, is to learn many different languages. Some of my favorites that I would suggest trying out are: Python ( good to start with, simple yet powerful ), C/C++ ( powerful, common, used on many many projects ), Java ( I don't like Java much myself, but plenty of people do. And if you don't like it, try C#, it's similar but still pretty nice ), LISP ( scares a lot of people off, but it's good to learn just for the experiance of it, even if you don't use the language it's self very often. ( You LISPers know exactly what I just said. :) ) ), and every good programmer should know about the web, so HTML, CSS, JavaScript are pretty much eccential, but PHP and MySQL as well as Python ( Django ) or Ruby ( on Rails ) if you really want to do dev work on the web.

You seem to have an interest in HTML5. The best programmers go from passion. If you really want to learn HTML5, then do it! Based on your interests, I would suggest C# personally. It's a full on programming language, it runs on .NET and with Mono you can run programs made in it on Mac OS X. It's used also to make some games, and used in business fairly often. But, the choice is yours, learn that which you want. Learn that which you enjoy and are drawn to.

Programming IS about logic, but also passion. Do what inspires you.

Hope this helps,

- WolfShield

I recommend learning Java I learned python first but it teaches you bad habits that most other languages don't use although it is fairly easy.

Python doesn't teach bad habits.

Python doesn't teach bad habits.

No language teaches bad habits. Languages simply allow bad habits if the user is taught poorly or is a hack.

hello people of DaniWeb! This is my first post.I gotta tell you that my head is going crazy lately.I am 18. So what's the case? Alright last year I gave some really really really hard exams in my country Greece.I suceeded. I got into the university at the Department of Mechanical Engineering.But, things are not as I expected them.I want to do programming.More programming than mechatronics or plain fortran 90/95 we do at university. I want to learn programming.All i have done up to know is a simpler version of pascal, fortran ,which I do know well and I like it but it seems it is useless, and only a few html.I want a programming language that i will learn very well so that I will be able to work a bit on the internet as a freelancer and do some projects for my own at free time which is generally a lot.About 5 hours a day.I have googled over a hundred times but I cant the right programming language.I have read about php,html,html5,Java and objective-c.I want a language that can do it all.I want to do android and iOS applications,web design-developing or even browser games.Also i would like one that it is modern and is not going to die in the next few years.I know that all the above desires are difficult to find in one language but which one combines most of them? I like the idea of html5. What do you think about it? Any suggestions?

[PS: I dont know if this is the right place to post my thread.Guys I am a bit desperate lately.Sorry if my english is bad.]

Thanks

I wanna suggest you that You should prefer the language Java because This is really helpful for making programmes....All the concepts of C and C++ are involves in this language.....if you are go for Java then the concepts of C and C++ will definitely clear to you...

All the concepts of C and C++ are involves in this language...

...except pointers and direct memory writes

Particularly,a programming language is an artificial language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer.Likewise: java, c, perl and so on....

My problems with Java are two:
1) It's programs are big and slow.
2) And that I never took the immense time to fully learn the language.

The second part I think is pretty important. Most other languages ( and I've used a few ) are not too difficult to grasp and do quite a bit in, in a fairly short amount of time. But the Java programming language is such a behemoth that it would take forever just to read all of the things, much less learn how to use them! I spent a few weeks messing around with Java the first time I used it, and was still confused by what should have been simple features. C++ will take a while to learn as well, but ( at least to me ) most of it's features are at least intuitive.

I know that "Java is what a programming language should look like", and maybe that's true about it's STRUCTURE, but I see no real reason to use it ( from the programming aspect of it ), especially with C# around. The only reason I could see for using Java over C# is that Microsoft owns C#.

Directed raging,

- WolfShield

The only reason I could see for using Java over C# is that Microsoft owns C#.

Oracle owns Java.

Oracle owns Java.

A good point. Let's never use Java. :P

My problems with Java are two:
1) It's programs are big and slow.
2) And that I never took the immense time to fully learn the language.

#2 calls into question your qualification to claim #1.

#2 calls into question your qualification to claim #1.

While that is true to a point ( mainly code wise ),
It is well known that Java is a slow language. It's not really anything that can be helped.

- WolfShield

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.